Feel The Love


So, I was having a bad day....

You know those days. When things seem to be going okay but then something hits you and you start to wonder if everything you're doing is even worth all the trouble. When you subconsciously begin to second guess your life for the past X-number-of years. When all the passion and time and energy you've put into art or work or whatever suddenly seems completely wasted.

Yeah. That.

We all have those days, and they're rough. SO rough. What makes it worse for me is if I sit alone in my sorrow and mope or wallow or complain.

What helps, is having a support group.

Whether it's family, friends, coworkers, or just random internet people, a support group is ESSENTIAL for me. Mine consists of first: my husband, and second: my friends, and third, seeking my God through prayer.

With my husband, I often have to explain details of why I'm upset (be it rejection, writer's block, or what have you). Regardless of the reason, or whether he fully understands it, he is there. Supporting me, encouraging me, and pushing me to keep going. I am so blessed to have him in my life.

With my writing friends, whether they're CPs or not, I know I don't have to tell them much. Today, all I did was tweet this:



What came back to me was fifty-plus notes of encouragement and happiness. Hugs, kindness, and praise that I sorely needed. With all the love from these friends, I know I can move forward.

Then, as I sat down to write this blog post, I said a silent prayer. As I did, a song I'd heard recently came to mind. It's called Flashlight, and the lyrics reminded me that there are moments of brightness in our lives, if we'll only open our eyes to see them. I know my God loves me, and even in the darkness He will light my path.


It's a sunrise from a lonely night;
It's a smile in a strangers eyes.
It's the moments that save my life nobody knows about;
Like flashlights.
It's just enough hope when it shines, to go one scared step at a time.
When the world's too dark I find, your flashlight.
-Chorus of Flashlight 

(For the full lyrics, go here.)

All I know is this: if I'm having a bad day, I have to reach out. To family, to friends, to God. It's through their love and support that I find the will to press forward doing the things that are hard. So if you're having a rough day, reach out. Find support. Pray, if you're religious or spiritual. Find friends and family who won't try to fix things (unless you ask them to) but who will just offer love, support, and encouragement. And when they're in need, do the same for them

Because we could all use a little more.

-DC

No comments

Back to Top