Creative Karma

Can you write a story from this?

Hi guys!

In the midst of all my reading/editing/revising/life, I just downloaded a new album from an artist I really love. I've been listening to it almost constantly the past two days, (trying to memorize all the words so I can sing along as loud as I want, because that's how I roll), and it's got me thinking...

I don't know about you, but the music I choose to listen to at a given time will inevitably drive me to work on a certain project. If it's Hunter Hayes, I'm working on UNBROKEN. If it's Daft Punk, a middle-grade superhero novel. Taylor Swift: historical fantasy. Evanessence: a weird romantic-comedy-contemporary-fantasy thing (I swear it's a good idea. Promise.).

What blows my mind, is how much the creativity of these people affects my creativity. I firmly believe that anyone who does creative work gets their inspiration from everything around them. That includes the work of other creative people. Have you ever read a book and thought, "Man, I'd love to write something like that," or "Oh, I want to draw that scene!" or "Those words are beautiful, and need to be in a song." OR have you seen a painting or photo, heard a song, or read a poem and thought, "That could be a beautiful book..."

I know I have.

Now, I may not be a painter or have the ability to draw, and while I tried my hand at songwriting fourteen years ago, it didn't pan out. But I still love art, and music, and photography, and those things fuel the fire of my writing. A single line of lyrics can inspire an entire scene. The tone of a song can give depth to a conflict. A photo or music video can bring life to a flat character. All of these things have happened to me multiple times, and they continue to happen. I can't get over it. Every time I listen to an artist I love I find something I can use in my own work.

I'm not talking about plagiarism here, guys. Don't steal lyrics, music, or art. Let it inspire you.

All this is to say one thing: I hope that one day, someone will read my words -- which have been fueled by the creative works of so many others -- and draw deeply from that well. That my art can inspire others to create, and the cycle will continue onward forever.

The great circle of art, perhaps?
>>NAaaaaaaaaachiwonyaaaaaaaaaaaBabageeeecheeebabaaaaaaa<<

What inspires you to create?

-DC

No comments

Back to Top