Remembering


Hi friends!
(Photo taken by my cousin, Keaton.)
Gratitude to The Honor Guard of Luke Air Force Base
for honoring my Grandfather.

Today, I want to take a minute to remember my grandfather. He passed away on March 15th, and his funeral was Friday, March 21.

This past weekend was hard for me. My grandfather was a great man, and I already miss him so much. His wife died in 1991, when I was only six years old. Even then, I had already formed strong memories of my grandma, and I've missed her a lot over the years.

Grandpa re-married three times. The first ended in divorce, and the second and third passed away before he did. He was never put in a home, never had in-home care. He was determined to keep his independence and take care of himself until the last day.

And that's exactly what he did.



He was born and raised in Woodruff, Arizona.
Small town guy.

He was the second of EIGHTEEN children.
No, I'm not kidding.

He married my grandma when she was just 16.

He served in the U.S. Air Force for twenty years.







(My dad is that baby in the middle.)


He raised two boys and four girls; all amazing, wonderful people.

He was a fantastic grandpa.

He loved fishing and hunting, and naps.

And Pepsi.



He was smart, inventive, loving, generous, probably the biggest pack-rat I'll ever know, and one of the sweetest men I've ever met. There are many who have had an influence on my life, and more who will in the future. But the hand print of my grandpa will stay with me forever.

I'm Mormon (LDS). In our faith, we're taught that through the power of the Priesthood families can be sealed together both on earth and in heaven. While parting is hard, and I miss my grandpa terribly, I find comfort in my faith. I will see him again, and get to hug him and tell him I love him.

'Til we meet again, Grandpa.
<3 <3 <3

-DC

No comments

Back to Top