KIYA: Rise of a New Dynasty


It's blog tour time!

Today I have the lovely Katie Hamstead here as a guest. I asked her how being published has changed the way she writes, if at all. I'm just as excited as you are to hear her thoughts.

Without further ado, here's Katie!

***

Being published really has changed the way I write.

The biggest changes are through the things I learned in the editing process. Working so closely with an editor has helped me learn in leaps and bounds about grammar, passive voice, the importance of small details and the dreaded comma! It seems the comma is a very underused piece of punctuation.

I’ve also learned common tells of passive voice like; was, were, had been, and how to avoid using them.

Without being published, I doubt I would have learned these things near as quickly. Because I had the opportunity to work directly with an editor, which I wouldn’t be able to afford under normal circumstances, I feel my writing technique has dramatically improved over the past year.

The only thing I’d say has been adverse is how my editing brain slows my drafting process. I overanalyze my sentences now, whereas before I let them flow right out of me and cleaned them up later.

But all in all, I feel like it’s the best choice I’ve ever made. Not only has it improved my skills, but it has helped us in other parts of our lives, too.

***

Awesome. Thank you, Katie! I can't wait to get to that point in my writing journey, and I'm sure others feel the same.

So guys, make sure you go check out the KIYA Trilogy! And go to Katie's blog for details on her other published works and those soon to come.

Find KIYA: RISE OF A NEW DYNASTY

Amazon
B&N
Kobo






a Rafflecopter giveaway




No comments

Back to Top