Yeah, I Lost NaNo. So What?

See that turtle right there?
That's me.

Hello lovelies!

It's December, and you know what that means!

NANOWRIMO IS OVER!!!!!

And do you know what? I lost. Well, "lost" is a rough way to put it. I did not finish the race this year. I've tried to do NaNo three years in a row now, and I've never finished. But it doesn't bother me because I've never really started a brand new project for NaNo either.

This year, my focus was polishing TARGET. And I did it. I count that as a win.

Now, in December, I have the opportunity to draft SUMMON -- which I have a pretty good start on already -- and I'm going to be applying the same crazy pressure on myself this month that many people did in November. Because that's where my timeline happened to fall this year. Hopefully I'll be able to move things up next year and actually draft a new book along with everyone else in November, but even if I don't, I'm good.

To me, NaNoWriMo has always been a tool. If I'm drafting, then I use it. If I'm not, then there's no way I'm about to stop what I'm doing in one project and start something new. That would drive me mad.

So I have fun, I sprint with people when I'm drafting a new scene or rewriting one, and when I'm not, I don't worry. I'll probably sign up for NaNo every year and see how close I can get, but after three years of trying there's one thing I've learned: how I write.

I know how I work. I'm confident in my process. If NaNo taught me anything, it's that I CAN write 50K in a month if I want to (and I have, just never in November). And I CAN push myself to the limits if I want to. But, I tend to work better when I don't.

I'm a slow-side writer. Partly because I'm a mom of two crazy boys and I can only really write at night after they're asleep, and partly because I get sucked into social media... but also because I LIKE to take my time. I enjoy making sure I covered all the bases, that I have the characters voices right, and that the plot makes sense.

How good am I at this? I don't really know. But I enjoy doing it.

So yeah. I lost NaNoWriMo. But ya' know what? I finished a (hopefully final) draft and I had fun. November is always fun because of it, and I love the excitement of people crossing that finish line. Congrats to all who did! One day, I might join your ranks.

But maybe not.

-DC

No comments

Back to Top