On the First Day...


Merry Christmas, Friends!



Welcome to the #12DaysofTwitter blog series! Have you seen some of your writer friends sporting funny Christmas-y names? Well, what began as a simple name change from one twitter writer snowballed, and is now a chance for twenty-four awesome writers to share memories and stories of what Christmas means to us. Click this link for the complete link list of all twelve days.

Today's memories come from two of my favorite people on Twitter and, though they may seem to have opposite personalities, they are both extremely talented writers and great friends to me. May I present, Pope and Fizzy, with memories to touch your heart and tickle your funny bone. Enjoy!


Pope in a Pear Tree

When I was a young boy, Santa Claus brought me the most popular item that year--Optimus Prime of the Transformers.  It was the highlight of my collection--which included nearly all of the Autobots and most of the Decepticons.  I was thrilled with it, and it remained, for a majority of my life, one of my most favorite gifts.

Until I was in college.

While at my parents house for winter break, my mom started telling stories about a few Christmases.  She then said "Especially that time we got the Optimus Prime."

"What?"  I asked, intrigued because it had involved a specific childhood memory.

"Well, we couldn't find one in Tupelo.  We searched everywhere.  I even had family in North Carolina searching for it.

"Then, the day before Christmas Eve, your Aunt Betty called to let me know she had found one.  In Morganton, NC.  She had bought it, but didn't know how to get it to us in time.

"So, your dad drove halfway to North Carolina--Chattanooga, TN to be exact, and met your Uncle Bill who had drove the other half."

At that moment, one of my favorite gifts became my all time favorite.

***

Fizzy in a Pear Tree

Before I share my memory, I must tell you all how much I love candy. I freaking love candy. Sugar addict to my core. I swear this is relevant...

One year for Christmas, I think I was probably twelve at the time, my parents had to have my older brother carry over this huge present for me. I was sitting on the floor and excitedly ripped off the wrapping paper, flailing as one does.

It was a huge, and I mean, HUGE bag of Jolly Ranchers. I don't even know the exact weight, but I am estimating it at 25 pounds-ish.

So there, flailing, happy, soon to be sugar-high child, I gripped the giant bag tight and hugged it.

And it rolled backward onto me.

And stayed there.

I was totally being crushed to death by Jolly Ranchers on Christmas.

My family was laughing too hard to be of any assistance, but I did indeed survive by managing to wiggle out from under it. The first Jolly Rancher I ate, I chomp crushed for spite.

It's one of my all time favorite Christmas memories.

***

Thanks for reading today, guys! Come back tomorrow for more memories, and have a Merry Christmas!

-DC

No comments

Back to Top