On the Fifth Day...


We're making Christmas last!!!



Welcome to the #12DaysofTwitter blog series! Have you seen some of your writer friends sporting funny Christmas-y names? Well, what began as a simple name change from one twitter writer snowballed, and is now a chance for twenty-four awesome writers to share memories and stories of what Christmas means to us. Click this link for the complete link list of all twelve days.

Todays writers are two of my closest friends on Twitter. Sarah Blair and Beau Barnett are here to WOW you to pieces. While both are hilarious in their own right, they wrote a couple of memories to touch your hearts today.

FIVE GOLDEN SAREYS

One of my favorite Christmas memories was sleeping under the tree in my sleeping bag on Christmas Eve so I wouldn’t miss Santa. I set out the cookies and milk and tried to stay awake as long as I could. In the morning, the cookies would be gone and there would be presents under the tree! One year I woke up, opened my eyes, and saw my mom with a mouthful of cookies. We stared at each other for a quiet moment, in the twinkling, colorful glow of the bubble lights from the Christmas tree. I already knew the “truth” about Santa, but my mom and I decided in that silent moment to keep playing the game.

We never talked about it that next day, or ever. Even when I was grown up, long after I stopped insisting on the cookies and milk, there was always at least one present under the tree from Santa. Now that I’m a mom, I get why she did it. It’s not about lies or bribes, or a reason to keep your kid doing nice things for a few months out of the year. It’s about keeping that sense of magic and wonder alive in your child for as long as possible. I haven’t decided if we’ll do Elf on the Shelf or something else, but I do plan to make magical things happen in my son’s life not only at Christmas, but year round. I want him to have his own memories full of surprises and happiness that will last him a lifetime.

***

FIVE GOLDEN BEAUS

My favorite Christmas memory was in 1991. Mom had passed 20 months prior, and Dad had just remarried 12/21. I hated my now stepmom, and her family.

That Christmas, I wanted one thing: a Super Nintendo. My stepmom's kids had gotten me a gift: two Super Nintendo games. There wasn't a box under the tree big enough to be the SNES, but I just knew Dad would be like "hey there's one missing!" and get it from where it was hidden.

It never came. I was crushed. I'm sure I was upset and crying about it as we left to go to Dad's parents. Still no SNES. I had given up on getting it as we headed to my Mom's parents. Where after opening gifts there was still no SNES.

Until my grandfather said "Hey, there's one more for you Beau!"  Instantly I went from mad and sad and hating everything to UNBELIEVABLY EXCITED. The games I had gotten were even the ones I most wanted. I knew I'd never forget that Christmas.

But you know, it's funny. As an adult, getting the SNES isn't what made that Christmas so memorable. It was two families trying to mesh together as one and make a relatively tense situation as painless and joyous and Christmas-y as they could.

I'll still never forget that Christmas.

***

May we all remember the best and most magical parts of Christmas, now and throughout our lives.

-DC

No comments

Back to Top