Bookish Questions

Hi guys!

Gina did this over on her blog, and I thought it was so fun, so I'm gonna try. But don't be surprised if I don't have very good answers... I haven't read much lately...

Favorite book cover
Um... I don't know. I don't often pay attention to covers... (So far this isn't going well...)


What are you reading right now?
Oh! Oh! Oh! I just finished HERO OF AGES, by Brandon Sanderson, (and I DIED) so now I'm gonna read ALLOY OF LAW next. I'm also slowly working my way through TRINITY, by Clare Davidson, and so far, I really like it!


Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
I'll read Clare Davidson's most recent release, REAPER'S RHYTHM, then I have a whole stack of books in my TBR... more Sanderson novels, a bunch of fantasy, some middle grade stuff, I mean... there are SO MANY BOOKS.


What five books have you always wanted to read but haven't gotten round to?
I'm sorry.......... what kind of question is this?

I don't know, I want to read all the books. I don't generally "want" to read a book for very long before I actually read it, so this question is a bad one for me.


What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now?
None.


What's the worst book you've ever read?
Ummm..... can't think of one, to be honest...


What book seemed really popular but you didn't like it?
Oh dear... people are gonna hate me for this, but I'm gonna be honest.

THE BOOK THIEF.

Before you unfollow me, let me give my reasons. This is the only book in a very long time that I started and did not finish. BUT:
1. the writing was GORGEOUS.
2. the concept of the narrator is BRILLIANT.
3. it's a VERY popular book and you should go read it. And
4. It's being made into a movie and I WILL be seeing it.

My problems with the book came down to the characters. I didn't care about them. I was ten chapters in, and I honestly did not care what happened to them. I put the book down and felt no desire or curiosity to pick it back up. I was pretty sure someone would die eventually (it is holocaust Germany, after all) but I really didn't care. I'm sure I'll try to read it again someday, and maybe I'll love it. This has happened to me before.


What's the one book you always recommend to just about anyone?
HARRY POTTER.


What are your three favorite poems?
I don't read poetry, but if I did they'd probably all be in Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein.


Where do you usually get your books?
Library or Amazon.


When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits?
I'm not sure... I felt like I read a lot, but in retrospect I didn't, really.


What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was too good to put down?
HERO OF AGES, by Brandon Sanderson. (*dies again*)


Have you ever "faked" reading a book?
Ummmmm, no. Can't say that I have.


Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?
Sure. Well, I do it more with first lines. Husband and I will do this occasionally. We go into a bookstore and start flipping open the books that look cool. Then we'll read the first line. If we really like it, we buy it. Sometimes we'll read the blurb, sometimes we won't. For us it's mostly about the title and the first line.


What was your favorite book when you were a child?
THE WISHING TREE by Ruth Chew. It was the first chapter book I ever read, and my first portal fantasy, given to me by my first grade teacher. I re-read it last year, and I still love it.


What book changed your life?
The Book of Mormon. Might sound weird to some, but it's the honest truth.


What is your favorite passage from a book?
Oh my gosh, you want me to choose just one? There are plenty of scriptures I love, and quotes from Harry Potter galore... the first thing that jumps to my mind though is a single line from THE BELGARIAD by David Eddings, often said with some sarcasm, but I've always liked it...

"One does one's best."


Who are your top five favorite authors?
(These are not in order, because HOW do you put them in an order?)

JK Rowling
David Eddings
Brandon Sanderson
James A. Owen
Orson Scott Card


What book has no one heard about but should read?
I can't answer this question. If you haven't been paying attention to all the books I talk about on this blog, then you're missing out. Get out. Go read this post.


What book are you an "evangelist" for?
HARRY POTTER.
And The Book of Mormon. Obviously...


What are your favorite books by a first time author?
ONE by Leigh Ann Kopans
COLDNESS OF MAREK by Rachel O'Laughlin
ULTRAVIOLET CATASTROPHE by Jamie Grey
SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo
and THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson


What is your favorite classic book?
Ummm...... the Narnia books.


Five other notable mentions?
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green
THE LAST YEAR series by Trisha Leigh
SCARLET by A.C Gaughen
GRACELING by Kristin Cashore
ENCHANTMENT by Orson Scott Card


CONCLUSION:
I need to read more.

-DC

No comments

Back to Top