Got Green? Aislin's Tale


Hi friends!

Here we are again for the second annual GOT GREEN Blog O'Hop with the awesome Mark Koopmans. When you're done here make sure you go back to Mark's Blog to read the other entries and get some St. Paddy's cheer!

In last year's post I basically just shared some thoughts, memories, and hopes about Ireland and St. Patrick's Day. This year, I'd like to do a little flash fiction action. but here's the thing... I'm going to Google "GOT GREEN" and take the first photo that comes up as my prompt.

I'll admit, I'm a little nervous.

Here we go... *clicks over to Google images*

Source: Blugi on Deviant Art
Well... THAT was unexpected.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

Well, here we go!

***

Stupid girl, I chided myself.

I dove into the grass mid-shrink. How was he still following me? I was nearly out of magic, but it would take all I had if I wanted to distract him. He came into the clearing and looked around.

Oh, great green hills he was beautiful.

Of all the creatures for me to fall for, it had to be a human. Mum would kill me. Part of me wanted to show myself. I know he'd seen me, but he'd been drunk. I thought he'd forget about it... apparently not. I tried to shrink smaller, but I'd reached my limit. Even Leprechauns have limits.

I stood still, watching him for a moment. His hair was deep auburn and was sticking out at odd angles from where he'd run his fingers through and pulled at it in frustration. His green eyes matched my clothing and the grass in which I hid. I brushed a lock of brown hair from my own face and bit my lip. The entrance to my home was a tree five yards to my right. If I were full sized I could reach it in a few strides but now...

I'd have to wait for him to give up and leave.

The sun slowly lowered behind the hills and I began biting my nails. If this human didn't leave soon the others would come out thinking the coast was clear for the nightly dance. And then what would happen? They'd probably sentence him to death. I couldn't bear that.

I shuffled from foot to foot, debating what to do. Then like he'd read my mind, the human man stood and turned away. I peeked wide-eyed through the grass, part of me wishing he'd stay. He paused, but then continued on over the hill.

I slumped on the ground. At the same moment, my friends and family began hopping out of the trees and growing in size. I tried to blend in with the revelers who carried kegs and instruments, but my aunt snatched my arm.

"Aislin! Where have you been?" she shouted in my ear.

"Oah! I can hear you!" I pulled my arm out of her vice of a hand and rubbed it. "I've been here all the time."

"All right, just don' go runnin' off again." She stalked away.

I watched as the light around our little glade began to glow green with our magic. I always loved this part. As the music grew louder, it went faster, and I joined in. Dancing in the middle of a magic cloud like that always lifted my spirits.

I tripped a bit, and stumbled out of the main group. I rolled on the soft grass and stared up at the sky, smiling.

"Psst," came a voice.

I lifted my head and looked around. I couldn't see anyone in front of me, so I rolled over onto my stomach and looked behind. Then I saw him.

The human was there, watching. I scrambled up and went to him in alarm. "What do you think you're doin' here?" I hissed. "You could be killed! You've got to go now!"

He shook his head and took my hands. I couldn't help the stutter of my heart that we were finally touching. He gazed at me in amazement. "I knew there was somethin' different about you. I'm so glad I followed you."

He brought my hands up and kissed them, but I pulled away. "Listen to me, if anyone else finds you you'll be killed! Leprechauns are not known for their mercy. You've got to go!"

"When can I see you again?"

"What?"

"I want to see you again, when?"

I shook my head and put a hand over my eyes. "Er, tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll come to the pub."

"You promise?" He grinned.

"Yes, I promise, now go!" I shoved at him until he sneaked away through the tall grass. I exhaled slowly, collapsing on the ground. It was a whole ten minutes before I realized I was rubbing the spot on my hand where he'd kissed me.

***


A little non-traditional I suppose, but I hope you like it nonetheless!

(Also, forgive me if my "Irish Accent" is incorrect... I'm NOT Irish.)

-DC

No comments

Back to Top