Priorities, Potential, and Potter

Helloooo Readers!!!

Borrowed from Amy
I have been SO jealous of everyone participating in the amazing contests lately. I was going to try to enter one, but realized that it would not be done in time. At the moment I'm trying to punch out a quick "first draft" of my completely revamped version of SIGHT.

However...  I have to wait until Oct 20th to really get into it. *see tangent below.*

For now, I wanted to tell you about something I found that I really like. Many thanks to Leigh Ann Kopans (a.k.a. my HERO) for having a Resources for Writers page on her blog. It was like a gold mine. I got the Beat Sheet, and tied it up with THIS concept to create a road map for my story. I swear, it was one of the most frustrating things I've ever done as a writer... but I did it, and I feel REALLY good about it!

Next, I took what THIS article says, and started to write out my scenes with JUST dialogue.

I know. WOAH.

I was a little hesitant, but I swear to you, when I did this the character's voices completely changed for the better. When I wasn't burdened with having to describe every detail their voices were so much clearer. AND they say more! I feel like this is a really good thing for me. I've been told that dialogue is one of my strengths anyway, so I'm VERY excited to rely on it more than ever.

I hope this technique works for me... it seems to be so far, so we'll see. Honestly, I absolutely love reading about different people's writing techniques, tips, and tricks. And I love seeing what works for me and what doesn't. The more I write, the more I love it... which reminds me of another blog post I've been meaning to write...

What helps you to write? What helps you focus? What helps you organize?

Thanks for reading! See ya Monday ;-)

-DC

*TANGENT*

We have a Potter Party coming up in a WEEK! And I have a TON to do before then! I've got sweets and food to make, plus I really want to bust out some rockin' costumes for us... which may or may not happen... and make sure I've got decorations ready and our trivia tournament finished. There's a LOT to do!
Because of that, the writing will be on the back burner... or at least a side-burner. I'm not going to put it down completely. I've started and I don't want to lose my groove...

ALSO
Huge thanks to Tiana Smith for my LOVELY new blog design! It's so pretty, and I love it SO much!!!

No comments

Back to Top