Up-And-Coming Authors

This Saturday I will be 40 weeks pregnant.

Monkey models how I've been feeling lately.
I realized last week that the writing was NOT going to happen for me any more during this pregnancy. I needed a break. So I turned to Twitter and my amazing CP's and said,

"HEY! Who has something for me to read?"

The response was fan-freakin-tastic.

Let me tell you a little about some stories I've read just in the past WEEK by my amazing friends and critique partners.

FORGET HER NOT by Heather Marie
Heather described this to me as a YA Mystery/Thriller. I don't read those very often, but I have a mystery-book-idea myself, so I thought it'd be nice to see how someone else does it. The setting is basically high school / small city life, so it's something we're all pretty familiar with. The characters were... honest. They felt real and genuine. The main character, Alice, is a girl we can all relate to, with a terrible experience in her past that has affected her in ways even she doesn't understand. The end, the twist, was one I never saw coming. Maybe it's because I don't read these type of books, but it was definitely a surprise to me. Well written, and a great job by Heather.


LOVE IN REAL LIFE by Angi Black
This is an Adult Contemporary piece that I really loved. Again, not a genre I read in very often, but I really enjoyed. It switched POV between Josey and Alex, who seem to have an unreal, unexplainable attraction for each other. You know the kind, the buzz in the air, the heat at a touch, the enthrallment you feel just wanting to know the person better. It's a very well written relationship from both perspectives. The only problem is, Josey's married - to a good man that's not Alex - and has a beautiful daughter - who she loves. Throughout the entire story I was torn. I am a married mom, so I can completely relate to Josey's home situation, and yet part of me was rooting for an affair with Alex because they seemed so perfect for each other. I can't tell you how it ends, Angi would probably kill me. But it was... sweet and bitter, happy and sad, a cliffhanger and full of closure all at the same time.


CHILDREN OF THE GODS: LUCAS by Tristina Wright
This manuscript is SO incredibly unique, I can't even tell you. Tristina categorizes it as YA Mythpunk Romance. I don't think I've ever even heard of such a thing, but let me tell you - it WORKS. And it's AWESOME. This is the story from Lucas's point of view, of how he meets Pandora and what they are destined to do for their people. I don't think I should say any more than that on the plot. The place where they live - New Orpheus - is inhabited by Titan descendants and Olympian descendants, who are forced into segregation by the Fates. They have trains, computers, automatons, etc. It's a mix-up that you wouldn't think could work, but Tristina does it SO well. I can't wait to read the next part.


So that's what I did last week! What about you?

-DC


P.S.
Pregnancy update: we had a "false alarm" on Tuesday. My contractions were pretty close together, so we went into the hospital. I wasn't progressing very much, so I got a shot of morphine (to help me sleep) and was sent home. Now we're back to the waiting game :-)

No comments

Back to Top