Reclusive Writer's Club

WHEW!
If you're looking for my entry to THE WRITER'S VOICE click on that link at the top of the sidebar over there ------------>

First of all, I want to give a big THANK YOU and WELCOME to those who are new followers! It really means a lot to me that you read, so thanks for being here!

After entering The Writer's Voice on Thursday, life practically spiraled out of control around here. For some reason, my stress levels spiked on Friday and Saturday, causing Braxton Hicks contractions...

Yeah, that's been causing a little alarm...

Then, I had my first official "Reclusive Writer Club" moment on Saturday night. It was awesome.

I usually don't mind (too much) putting down my writing for family things or to hang out with friends, especially if I haven't seen them in a while. Usually that's because I'm not writing anyway... because I'm bad at consistency. I've felt often that I'd rather write than watch T.V. or play games with my husband (poor guy), but this was my first instance of "public reclusivity." (<-- I just made that up, blogger says it's not a word. Do you like it?)

See, I've been writing (and revising and editing) my own work every day. All week. For hours at a time. And I'm not even a quarter of the way through where I want to be by next week. When we decided to go to a family ice cream party at a nearby park I didn't think much of it. But while I was sitting there among a bunch of people catching up on "how's life, what are you doing now, how are the kids/grand-kids" etc, I found myself thinking of my characters and where I was in my read-through... my next thought was:

"I'd rather be writing..."

And I was proud of myself. It felt like a milestone in my writing journey. I realized I'd rather be writing. I did feel bad for thinking that while in the company of such amazing people, and I made a greater effort to talk and visit after that. But as an aspiring writer, it felt good.

Maybe it's a writer thing.

(For any family who read this, please know I love you all, and I had a blast seeing you and catching up on Saturday. I really did.)

Have you ever had a "Reclusive Writer's Club" moment? Was it at home with spouse or kids, or in public like mine?

Is it good, or bad that we have moments like this? Thoughts?

-DC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Baby Update!
I'm now 23 weeks and Baby Peter weighs about as much as a large mango. We like mangoes. And he's now more than 11 inches long, head to bottom. WooHoo!

No comments

Back to Top