Jumping Genres

As most of you know, I've been working on my novel, SIGHT, off and on for about a year now. It's getting close to where I want it to be, but I still have a ways to go.

I love young adult lit, of almost any genre. That's why I chose to write it. That's why I have (literally) eight other YA book ideas floating around in my head. It's where my heart is. Where I feel I belong.

However... a while back, Turner and I had an idea for a really cute children's book. A picture book, similar to the vein of Dr. Seuss and the Berenstain's. After it mulled around in my mind for a while, I wrote the idea out into a little poem. I shared it with out family, and they thought it was great.

I submitted it - playfully really, not thinking anything would actually come of it - to an agency. No response means no, right? Plus, I really feel like I want to write YA - not children's. And I worry that if I get into the latter first, it'll be harder to switch.

The other option is to just submit both to separate agencies, and see which one I get first. Then I can self publish the other one on my own, or (depending on the contract) have a different agent for each genre. Or, if I get no bites, I can just self-publish both!

These are mostly my own musings and thoughts, but I'd love to know what you think.

Do you write in one genre only? Have you explored any others? Have you had experience switching genre's after getting an agent?

-DC

No comments

Back to Top