Thoughts for Uganda

I'm sure many of you have heard of the video going around lately by a group called "Invisible Children." The video was released through You Tube on March 5th, and has received millions upon millions of views, as well as both support and criticism.

Go here and scroll down a bit to watch the video, if you haven't seen what I'm talking about. Mind you, it takes about half an hour, yet SO many have watched it.

I first saw the video about a week ago, only two days after it was posted. My reactions were a bit mixed, which is why it's taken me so long to write about it - I wanted to let it sink in and mull it over a bit.

Initially, I felt oddly uncomfortable about the whole thing, and I'll tell you why. I am a huge believer in the Law of Attraction. If you don't know what that means, it basically says, "what you think about, you bring about." To a larger scale, the things you focus on in your thoughts and actions, are what you draw more of into your life.

Therefore, to me, focusing on this evil man and "making him famous" was completely counter-productive to what they say they're trying to do, i.e. stop him.

Yet, considering myself a good person, and wanting to help these poor people in Uganda somehow, I naturally posted the video everywhere I could in an effort to spread the word (as I'm sure most good people did). I posted it on Facebook, linked to and hashtagged it on Twitter, and was about to post the video here as well, until a friend of mine posted another link on my Facebook page. The article justified my fears a little, and gave me second thoughts about my actions.

Read it here.

STILL, (I have a thick head sometimes) I continued telling myself that what Invisible Children was doing (by spreading the word) was a good thing, regardless of how they went about it... but no matter how I said it, something didn't feel quite right.

Then yesterday, that same friend posted yet another link on Facebook that made me absolutely sure I did the right thing in waiting to write about this. It shows the Invisible Children video being shown to people in Northern Uganda, who have suffered through the things this organization is "trying to stop."

These people were offended and upset at seeing a video that showed events from at least five years past, and people wearing t-shirts, bracelets, and other paraphernalia making their enemy famous, but very little about what they were going through now.

See the video/article here.

Here's the part that really hit me though:

In the accompanying article, a woman is said to have made the comparison of this, to other countries wearing gear promoting Osama bin Laden post 9/11, "likely to be offensive to many Americans, however well intentioned the campaign behind it."

Just the thought of someone in some other part of the world wearing a "Get bin Laden" t-shirt with his image on it, in an effort to 'tell everyone about him' or 'spread the word'creeps me out.

Now that I've gotten the back story out, here's how I really feel about all this hype - take it or leave it.

This guy is a bad, bad, bad, bad man. That is one thing I think we can all agree on. However, the army he leads is reported to be far smaller than it has been in years, and (from the many other articles I've read about it) he is constantly on the move, for fear of being caught. The Ugandan army, in connection with 100 U.S. military advisors, has done a good job of tracking him so far, and hopefully will catch him any day now.

As for Uganda, yes, these people have suffered. They have lost family and friends and parts of their own bodies to the evil that rampaged their land. However, what they need now is not a "stop the bad guy" campaign. I would imagine (don't have a source for this, just my thoughts) they need clean water, schools and books, possibly hygiene supplies, or food, or healthcare.

The photos on this post are from a visit my husband and I made to San Diego last summer. It was such an awesome vacation, especially the date night where these pictures were taken. The beach is kind of my "happy place." I chose these photos for this post because I wanted to remember the peace I felt then. I did not mention the "bad guy's" name at all here, because that's not what I want you to remember. I want to focus my energy on Help. Love. Peace. Joy.

Call me a hippie if you want, but I will not support an anit-bad-guy campaign. I'll support a "Go Good Guys" campaign. I'll gladly donate if I know that the money is going straight to the Ugandan army, or the countries now being affected by this evil, or the people of Uganda. If there is any doubt, then I'm not doing it.

Keep in mind, these are my thoughts, and I'm not trying to make anyone think the way I do. I just needed to get it out and clear my head of all the ideas and feelings I've been harboring for the past week. Do what you feel is best for you.

I'd love to hear your thoughts  below in the comments. Feel free to bash me if you must, just play nice with the other commenters please.

Thanks friends,

-DC


"I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but if you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there." 
-Mother Teresa 
via.

No comments

Back to Top