Tasty Tuesday - Crazy Sauce

Soooo... whew.

via Skinnytaste
On Friday, I made us some awesome Beef & Broccoli stuffed peppers. They were a complete experiment, and turned out okay. In retrospect, we decided it'd be better to either cook the peppers longer, to make them easier to eat,  or find something else to put the filling in, like zucchini or something. But, they were still tasty. (My recipe below - it's a combination of three others, lol!)

Then Friday night my dad asked me to cook his birthday dinner for him. So all day Saturday was spent shopping and prepping so that everything would be ready in time. We had broccoli cheese soup, bruchetta, corn pups (mini corn dogs), spinach artichoke dip, and hot pastrami & corned beef sandwiches. We tried some flavors we normally wouldn't, and found out some things my dad doesn't like :-), as well as some things he does! All in all, a successful dinner.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go have some leftovers.

Happy Tuesday!

-DC

P.S. welcome to my newest followers! Thanks for being here, it means the world to me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beef and Broccoli Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients:

1 C cooked rice (about 1/2 C uncooked)
5 bell peppers of your preferred color (I used yellow and orange)
Salt to taste
1-2 C broccoli
1 lb ground beef
Soy sauce (measurements below, it's used more than once)
Ground Ginger (same)
1/4 C cornstarch
Olive oil (same)
1/2 C chopped onion (green onion would prob taste better, but I only had white and it was still great)
2-3 cloves chopped or minced garlic, to taste

*First cook the rice if you haven't already. Either in a rice cooker, stove, or microwave, it just needs to be done how you like it.

*Preheat oven to 350° F.

*Wash the peppers in cold water, cut out the tops, slice in half long-ways and get all the seeds out. Place them skin side down in a deep baking dish (I use a rectangle cake pan). Spray with a little olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle with salt, and set aside.

*Steam the broccoli. I have a microwave steamer that I use, about 4 minutes is usually plenty, if you're using the stove it'll take longer, about ten-12 min. You may want to start this before the peppers if that's the case. When it's tender, set aside.

*Put the ground beef in a bowl and add 1/2 Tablespoon of soy sauce and 1/4 tsp ground ginger, and cornstarch; mix well to combine (I use my hands, spoons just get in the way).

*Put about a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and heat to medium. Add the chopped onions, garlic, and 1/4 tsp ginger; cook until the onions are tender, about 5 min. Add 1/2 C soy sauce, 1/2 C water, 1/2 C brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes. Cook the sauce for about 2 min then transfer to a bowl. Don't worry if it's runny - it should be at this point :-)

*Put the ground beef into the pan and cook until browned, 10-12 min. Once it's all browned, drain the excess grease and add the sauce, broccoli and rice. Heat to a boil so the sauce thickens. Let the sauce boil down until you've got a good thick scoop-able mixture.

*Spoon the meat/rice/broccoli mix into the peppers. Pour 1/3 C of water into the bottom of the pan, cover tightly with foil. Bake for 20-30 min at 350°. 


*Take it out and enjoy! So good!

P.S.
I'm so sorry I didn't take pictures of the process, I'm not a foodie blogger by any means...

No comments

Back to Top