Luck o' the Irish! "Got Green" Blog Hop!

Happy St. Patricks Day everyone!

via
Let me start by confessing: I'm not Irish.

I know... sad.

However, I have always loved everything about the place (minus the drinking... which is a big deal, I'm told...). I love the accent, the beauty of the land, the Celtic heritage, it all feels like it has a magic to it. That's probably why Leprechauns originated there, and other awesome myths about little faeries and such.

Today I want to tell you what St. Patrick's day means to me in a "Christmas Carol" type of way: past, present, and future. So, let's get started!

PAST:
Growing up, I always associated St. Patrick's Day with going to the zoo. Probably because it always comes around spring break, and everyone goes to the zoo on spring break around here...

via
This time of year also usually means that the Renaissance Festival is going strong. On one trip, I got myself a little necklace with a Celtic Trinity charm. I wore that charm for years. It means different things to different people, but to me it represented the unity of my body/mind/spirit, as well as my hoped for unity between myself/husband/God. (Incidentally, my wedding ring is a triangle for this reason.) LOVE the Celtic mythology.

PRESENT:
Today, I am excited to be having my very first tea party! I've been planning it for a month or so. In honor of St. Patrick's day it is a "Color Me Green" theme. Green clothing, green treats, green napkins and decorations, etc. I'll be sure to post pictures next week sometime. I may make this an annual tradition as well...

As for my husband, he will probably be speaking with an Irish accent all day. I would, but I can't. I slip too easily into an Australian/New Zealand accent if I waver from British... Hopefully we'll get to indulge in some Lucky Charms at some point, and find someone to pinch for not wearing green.

via
FUTURE:
Since I love Ireland, I would love to visit there some day. I would love to see the beautiful fields and castles, and all the history connected to such an ancient, magical place. I'd love to write an Irish character someday too...

FLASHBACK:
In elementary school, I remember our librarian telling us a story of how she actually saw two leprechauns riding little golden bicycles across her windowsill. When they stopped to admire the view of her garden, she jumped up and scared them! They ran away, and left their bicycles. She had the bicycles made into earrings, which she was wearing at the time of the story-telling.

(333 words exactly!)

That's all for me! What are some of your memories/activities/hopes for St. Patrick's day?

Be sure to head over to Mark Koopmans' blog and see what everyone else on the Linky List is writing about! Happy St. Patrick's day!

-DC

P.S.
For EVEN MORE St. Paddy's day fun, head over to Rachelle Gardner's blog and enter her Haiku contest! Open til Sunday at midnight EDT. Good luck!

No comments

Back to Top