To Write, or Not to Write?

Just a heads up, I'm going to vent a little bit today, and I hope you'll all forgive me. It's been a rather rough week; full of good things, of course, but full of hard things as well.

This accurately shows how I feel today...
I mentioned last week that I was lucky enough to get "passed" into the agent round of Cupid's "Agent Speed Dating" contest. I'll be completely honest and say I was hoping for the best and expecting the worst. This is my first, like VERY first, manuscript. And while I feel really good about it, I've wanted to make some changes to it for a while. I'm taking this time before the agent round begins to do that, in the hopes that if I do get chosen for a partial or full I'll have something really amazing to show.

I know I can edit. I'm great at spotting typo's, and I can usually catch awkward sentences and word placement, though I have a bit harder time of it in my own work.

Because of that I'm not nervous about making changes so quickly. However, I am a little hesitant about adding some of the sub-plot ideas that have been floating around in my head for a while...

I guess my question is, do I complicate things now? The elements I want to put in don't change any of the information in the query, so I'm not worried about that... or do I wait until I have an agent and throw the ideas at them hoping they'll like them?

Like I said, this is my first MS, so I may just end up scrapping the whole thing eventually anyway. But if my mess of a query and *pretty good* first 250 got past the bouncers, that tells me I've got something... right?

Am I being too hopeful for a beginner?

Help...


-DC


P.S.
Have you ever had this dilemma? I haven't even started querying yet, because I've been so nervous. I've been working on this MS off and on for a year, and I still don't feel like it's really where I want it to be. At the same time, I'm anxious to get started!
Baaaaahhhh!

1 comment

  1. That's a tough one, Darci. Do YOU feel like it's finished as-is? If you feel like story is complete, it doesn't hurt to start querying. You could always have them in mind if an agent signs you and wants more plot.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top