Festive Discoveries

On Saturday we took the afternoon and went to the Arizona Renaissance Festival.

This has been one of my favorite events for years. When I was in sixth grade, my school teacher was cast as the Queen! So on their special student day, we got to go on a field trip to see her as royalty. It was so much fun for a twelve-year-old! Every spring since, I get so excited to go and get my merry on.

Along with some awesome pics of Monkey in the petting zoo (see below) Turner and I learned a valuable lesson about each other.

{EDIT: I suppose it's appropriate that I'm posting this on Valentine's Day... love is always throwing curves... you're always learning new things and having to change your perception about your love, no matter how long you've been together.}

See, aside from tickets to get in, we decided to budget out only $20 for spending money, "In case we find something we can't live without" as Turner kept saying. As we walked through the various shops, we saw some amazing wares, but nothing caught my eye.

As the day was ending, I told Turner that all I really wanted was a bite of food (like a turkey leg or something) or possibly a Henna tattoo (temporary natural ink that lasts for about a month before wearing off). Turner refused to spend our money on stuff that wasn't stuff... he'd wanted to get a trinket or something to remember our visit. Well, most trinkets start at about $10, and I didn't really want to spend so much on something that would most likely get lost or broken.

We've been married for four years and never knew this about each other... Turner prefers spending money on mementos, where I prefer spending money on making memories.

We didn't end up getting anything. Instead we stopped at Subway on our way home because I was seriously in need of nourishment. Now that we know this, however, I think trips to the Ren Fest, or the Zoo, or amusement parks, or whatever, will be easier! We can divide between us whatever budget we have, and satisfy both of us.

Have you ever had a "lightbulb" moment with your spouse or partner, where you learned something as random as this?

I'd really like to know, because I feel like it's been happening to us more and more often lately.

Now, for cuteness. (New camera came!) Enjoy.











Don't you love how he just walks away from his parents without a backward glance?
Monkey is the best...

1 comment

  1. I think that's one of my favorite things about marriage. Because I've been married to Jared for 5 years, sometimes I feel like I MUST know everything there is to know about him...but then something comes up that I never would've even guessed, and I'm just blown away. I love it! It definitely keeps me on my feet

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top