Bloom Blog Tour: Writing with Kids

Today I am SO excited to be a part of the Bloom Blog Tour for the amazing Julie A. Lindsey. 


We met through Twitter, and I immediately pegged her as one of my favorite tweeps because she's always tweeting about writing and family and kids. She's very easy to relate to! Her new book, Bloom, has just been released, and I'm SO looking forward to reading it! Without further ado, I'll turn the time over to Julie!

Thank you so much, Darci, for letting me stop by today on my very first blog tour!  Writing for publication is a huge dream of mine and I hope this new novella series is just the beginning. Having incredible reader/writer/blogger friends like you is the icing on my awesome-cake LOL and I am right at home! The journey this far has already been major nuts and I have three small Lindseys to thank for much of that. I thought I’d give you and your readers a peek into my life so you’ll know you’re not alone if you are also covered in Polly Pockets and Play-Doh when you stand up from a long day of writing.


Writing with Children is A Wild & Crazy Ride!

It all started three years ago while I was up all night nursing a cranky newborn. You see, Little Miss came along and swiped my office.She now has a pink princess castle room filled with toys, and I have a laptop on the couch. Unfair, maybe. Motherhood? Totally. I used to write for sanity sake and log the ins and outs of my kids’ lives for posterity. Then I caught a movie on late one night. I loved it. I was captivated. When my husband told me he thought it was a book, I couldn’t wait to read it.

The book did not disappoint. After that, my life changed completely. I wanted more than anything to write a story that would affect other readers the way my favorite authors have affected me. Suddenly, writing snippets didn’t suit me anymore. I wanted to impact someone too. I want this very much. To reach out and put a smile on a stranger’s face is my new goal and where I have focused all my extra energy.

But. (isn’t there always a but?) I am a stay at home mother to three kids. The oldest is now 8. When I started this journey they were 5, 3, and brand new. I also juggled home schooling until this year. It was NUTS with a capital crazy. Teaching one kid how to draw letters and another to go in the potty and another how to hold a cup…plus all the other things we women handle every single day made for a very tired Julie. The good and also tragic of it all is that kids grow up fast. A simultaneous 'Hooray' and flood of tears hits every time I think about it. Fast forward three little years and today my boys get on a bus and leave for 8 hours every day and my then newborn is now a proud part time pre-school student and tiny ballerina.

So, my days are quieter, but Little Miss still keeps me on my toes. She paints my nails with markers while I type one handed. She sends tweets before I’m finished by landing a little pony on the keyboard. My B key sticks from tiny peanut butter fingers trying to give me a hug while I’m still writing. Like everything else worth doing, it’s a matter of balance and routine. She knows she has my undivided attention a couple times a day plus meals. In between times I clean and she helps, but when I write, I can block out a hurricane from sheer necessity. I become oblivious to all that is happening to me. I’ve answered the door with a tiara and feather boa, never realizing she’d dolled me up while I typed away.

The writer life has taught me to go with it. I roll with whatever comes my way and have learned to be thankful for the blessings that come together so I can be in this chaos. I can stay home with my kids who are healthy and well. I have a job I love, and my kids see me chasing my dream. My life is blessed. Reader/Writer/Blogger/Mommy is a super extra crazy job description, but I know I’m way more fun because of it. All us women carrying that title need to take a bow and smile wider because we are a force to be reckoned with!

If you get a mommy minute and need a little escape, I hope you’ll visit Honey Creek. It’s a beautiful place where anything can happen. Kick off your shoes, relax into that porch swing and cuddle up to a steamy mug of cider. Taking a trip to Honey Creek is as easy as Amazon : ) See you there!



In a town filled with her past, she never expected to find her future…
Seven years ago Cynthia left Honey Creek with a broken heart. Three years ago Mitchell arrived with one.  Now Cynthia’s come home, and these two hardened hearts can’t stop arguing. If they’d only take a break long enough to find some common ground, they might be surprised to find love can grow anywhere.

If they’ll let it, love will find a way to Bloom.

*Bloom is book one in my new Seeds of Love series.  I’ll be planting those seeds all year.

I am a mother of three, wife to a sane person and Ring Master at the Lindsey Circus. Most days you'll find me online, amped up on caffeine & wielding a book.

You can find my blogging about the writer life at Musings from the Slush Pile
Tweeting my crazy at @JulieALindsey
Reading to soothe my obsession on GoodReads
And other books by me on Amazon

No comments

Back to Top