Thankful Thursday: Monkey

We're so excited for Monkey to be a big brother...

Sunday night, he had a mishap while playing at Great-Grandpa & Grandma's house. He got on an exercise bike, and his left toe got caught in between some bolts and got squished :-(

The toenail was ripped backward and bled quite a bit. It looked like the toe was bruised, maybe even broken. He cried louder than I've ever heard him cry before... it broke our hearts. We wrapped his toe in some paper towel, gave him some Tylenol, and then Daddy and Great Grandpa gave him a priesthood blessing.

We made the drive home just fine, and by the time his bath was done, his countenance had completely changed - he was a calm happy boy. His toe looked completely fine - unbruised and not bleeding. We wrapped it up with some Neosporin just to be safe, but he seemed absolutely perfect again. The Priesthood is such a blessing. Turner and I are convinced that the Lord healed Monkey's little-big-toe, and helped calm him down. We were so afraid when we heard him crying... this is his first really big owie accident, and we weren't certain what to do.

Later that night, after Monkey had gone to sleep, Turner and I were discussing the whole ordeal and Turner said something very insightful. Something I've thought about before, but applied very well to our current situation. He said,

"I hate seeing him hurt. I can't imagine what Heavenly Father had to watch His Son endure...."

Since I've become a parent, this thought has crossed my mind many times; the late nights while Monkey was teething, the times he had a fever that wouldn't break, the times he fell and really hurt or scared himself...

The only thing I can do for him in those times is hold him close and make sure he knows I love him. A little Tylenol, a little essential oil... those sometimes help, but sometimes they don't. When they don't, I'm left with a poor little child who is hurting, and doesn't understand why I can't make it stop.

And oh I wish I could...

I know every parent often feels like this; we wish we could just shield our children from the pain and sorrow in the world, protect them and keep them safe. I'm sure Heavenly Father wishes He could at times. But if that were an option, we wouldn't be able to choose for ourselves - our agency would be taken away, which is exactly what Lucifer had in mind...

Being a parent is a rough game, but I hear it's worth it. It's a matter of learning to love our children enough to let them make their own mistakes and learn from them. Loving them enough, in the end, to let them go. Because if we hold on to them, and try to shelter them from everything, they'll never learn. It reminds me of an exchange from Finding Nemo, between Marlin and Dory:

Marlin: "No, no, I promised I would never let anything happen to him!"

Dory: "Well you can't never let anything happen to him, then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo."

See? If we guard our children too closely, we're no better than Satan himself. We do it in the name of protection, but when taken to the extreme, we're only harming them further than not. I love my two-year-old, and I try to keep him out of danger as much as possible. But maybe things like this mishap are good for both of us. It teaches him to be more careful in new places, and it reminds me how much I love my little boy... how devastated I would be if anything bad ever happened to him, and how, in the future, I will need to let him go, and make his own mistakes... no matter how much I may know better.

I'm so thankful for the opportunity I have to be a mother, especially to such a smart, funny little boy... and more to come.

Parents, aunts, uncles, caregivers... how do you feel when your children are hurting? How protective are you at such a young age, and then as they get older?

I'm learning as I go.


- Darci - The Page Traveler -

No comments

Back to Top