Tasty Tuesday #2 - Soup

Sunday was a soup day... but I didn't get any.

I got elk steak instead, which was awesome...

But it wasn't soup.

So since I had the time, I made soup last night.

I got this recipe from Our Best Bites

: : : here's the original recipe : : :

I've made this soup before with all the correct ingredients, but I had to substitute and wing it a little this time because I didn't have everything it calls for.

The original recipe calls for:

4 cloves of Garlic, chopped (mine was pre-minced)
3/4 C chopped carrots
3/4 C chopped onion
3/4 C chopped celery (I didn't have any, and we don't really like it anyway, so I used some green bell pepper)

2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
(NOTE: I HAVE done this with dried beans before - a one-pound bag will produce a little bit more than the two cans, but it's equal enough to do it that way.)


A small can of green chilis (Also didn't have these, so I went with some jalepenos from a jar and chopped em up. I REALLY liked the different flavor it gave the soup this time around!)

2 cans beef broth (I just use 4 cups of water and 4 teaspoons of chicken bullion - because that's what we have)


Then you have all the spices:

1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/3 tsp Dried Oregano
1 Bay Leaf (this was the only ingredient that didn't come in my handy spice rack, but I DO think it's necessary.)






This is the third time I've made this soup, and every time Turner and I are amazed at how much flavor it has (seriously, we have NO leftovers...).

This is actually my first time using canned beans and I have to say it was WAY easier. Using dried beans you have to think a day and a half in advance to sort, rinse, soak, and cook the beans. It tastes about the same either way as long as you get the dried beans to the right tenderness, but the canned beans were on sale at Fry's this week, so I went for it - creature of convenience, remember?

So, step one is make sure you have everything prepped. It's SO much easier when you do. Once you get going on this, it goes pretty fast.

Then throw all the raw veggies in a big pot with a little olive oil, and saute them for five minutes or so...

These are all cell phone pics, because we've lost our camera...


Mmmm... I love sauteing veggies...

Once the onions are starting to brown and everything is smelling good, throw in the beans, chilis (or japs) and broth (water and bullion in my case).

Stir it all up, then add the spices. You might think you're doing too much on the spices, but trust me - the measurements are perfect.

Then you let it simmer for 20/25 min, take out the bay leaf, and you're done! (Unless you want to blend it into a creamy soup - we've done this in the past, but we prefer it chunky. I think you can taste the flavors better that way.)

OH! I almost forgot! Before you serve, mix in the juice from ONE lime. It gives it just the right amount of kick and tastes SO good.

Then just serve and top with your toppings of choice! We love crushing tortilla chips into it, and throwing LOTS of cheese on. I also like and a dollop of sour cream, myself.

It's the perfect rainy day soup. I love it.




Enjoy!

- Darci - The Page Traveler -



P.S. What's your favorite soup?

No comments

Back to Top