Kid Movie

Recently, Monkey and I have become big fans of a new movie: Gnomeo and Juliet.

via
My younger sister and brother had it on the Netflix instant queue for a long time, and I always just wrote it off as being a new stupid show... like Spongebob or the Fairly Odd Parents...

You know, cartoons that just don't meet the standard of Looney Toons or Disney.

A few weeks ago I came across it and decided I'd put it on for Monkey to watch, though I knew I'd probably ignore most of it and never let him watch it again...

Turner called about 20 minutes in, and I don't remember what the conversation was about, because I was too involved in the story.

I loved it.

via
Despite all the Elton John songs (some good, some not so good) the characters and voices are really awesome, and I honestly found my heart breaking for these two little gnomes who fought to be together despite their families feud.

And once I figured out who was doing all the voices, I loved it even more! It's got great actors and actresses like Michael Caine, Maggie Smith, James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Jim Cummings, Ozzy Osbourne (seriously!), Patrick Stewart, Hulk Hogan (seriously!), Richard Wilson, and Dolly Parton just to name a few!

If you don't know who some of them are, I'll understand, but I recognize all of them and they amaze me. Honestly, I really think the cast is what made this movie so flippin' good.

via
: : : SPOILER ALERT : : :

One of my favorite moments is toward the end. Gnomeo has ended up in Bancroft Gardens in Stratford England, where there is a monument to Shakespeare and some kids have placed Gnomeo on top of Shakespeare's head. He's sitting up there explaining his situation, when Will basically says, "You know, your story reminds me of another..." and tells him how Romeo and Juliet ends.

Whereupon Gnomeo says, "What? They both die? What kind of an ending is that?... That's rubbish!"

I love it.

Kid movies can get away with that kind of stuff - insulting a great British wordsmith and such.

I won't tell you how it ends, but I bet you can guess.

I highly recommend it... it has made me want to actually read the play for the first time ever. I think I really will, come January.

Which is in like, what... two days?

What's your favorite thing about kids movies?


- Darci - The Page Traveler -

No comments

Back to Top