Thanksgiving

A time of turkey, family, and thanks.

I'm in charge of making Pumpkin Rolls and my first attempt at a Red Velvet Roll... The first attempt was tragic... the second turned out well.

The picture here is NOT of my making - source.

I love pumpkin rolls. They are my one "must have" for the holidays. In fact, when I was on a mission in '05 and '06, my mom actually sent me one each year.

It made me happy.

I know many of you won't even see this post, as it's kind of a family-day, but I wanted to do something special for Thanksgiving. I've been thinking a lot about a quote I heard once that says:

"What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you thanked God for today?"


Now, I've talked about my gratitude issues here on the blog before. I'm not the best at remembering to be thankful, but I think I might be getting better, a little at a time.

I'm definitely thankful for pumpkin rolls...

Turner, on the other hand, is very good at this. He's the one who says our prayers every evening, and he always remembers to thank the Lord for those things we know we wouldn't survive without.

Each other.
Monkey.
Our home.
Food.
Clothing.
An income.

Of course there are other things we're grateful to have (hot water, the internet, electricity, etc.), but when I really think about it, we could get by even without those things. I'm not saying it would be easy, but we'd be okay.

The last couple of years have been a real struggle for Turner and me. We were unable to make ends meet when he had a part-time income, and relied a lot on family, friends, and our church for financial help. Then, in March of this year, we were blessed for Turner to find a new job that pays twice as much as the last one. We still struggle, but we're grateful to be self-reliant again.

There's another saying that says, "You never know what you had til it's gone" (or something like that). I just know there are so many things I take for granted in life. Things that I'd flip out over if they were gone. But I hope I can always retain the perspective of gratitude for what I DO have, rather than begrudging what I don't.

Reading Harry Potter
I am so thankful for faith - the knowledge that there is hope for a better life for my little family. I am grateful for the tiny one-bedroom apartment that we pay under $400 a month for. I'm grateful for my husband who, no matter how tired he is from the night before, always gets up and goes to work so that we can buy our own food, and pay our own bills. I'm thankful for a sweet little son who - no matter how frustrated he sometimes makes me - is the joy of our life. I'm thankful for family who live close to us, who can help on a moment's notice if we need them.

And I'm thankful for the knowledge I have of a Father in Heaven who loves me, and a Savior who is my strength and support in everything I do.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone - now go eat some turkey.

Pies and Pumpkins,

Page Traveler

P.S.
If you had your basic "needs" and were only allowed one "want," what random thing would you like to have?

No comments

Back to Top