Nightwalker: The Warlocks of Talverdin

I picked this book up off the library shelf because the synopsis sounded intriguing... and seriously, is that not a cool title? It sounds creepy, and magical, and all sorts of awesome...
{Which tells me I'd better have a DARN good synopsis AND rockin' title for any book I'm trying to sell...}

Title: Nightwalker: The Warlocks of Talverdin
Author: K.V. Johansen
Genre: YA Fantasy Fiction
Page count: 196

For such a short book, I was pleasantly surprised at how much was covered. The detail was great, and the time span was probably about nine months, not including flashback scenes of course, which reviewed necessary history. Not everything was explained, but not everything needed to be... for example: Johansen created new names for the months in this world. She didn't come out and say what all of them were, but when she needed one, she just used it. Same with the deities in the story. By the end I knew there were seven, but I didn't know who all of them were, and I was okay with that.


It was very simple, very straightforward, clean cut... It's funny, because there were little things I didn't think I liked while I was reading, but now I can't remember what they were. I feel like the crispness of the story overshadowed any little flaws. I found myself thinking, "Wow, I love the way that's worded..." I would try to think of a different way to say something, and resign myself to the fact that the way it's written is really the best, most concise way.

One thing I loved about this book, was that the author used a smart main character to teach lessons. I'm thinking of one part in particular where the main character is about to say something and chooses not to, telling the reader his reasons why rather than just saying, "he didn't speak." It was a brilliant way to put morals and decency into a story that I had never really thought about before. It makes me happy to know that my new-and-improved heroine is wiser than her first-draft counterpart, so I can definitely apply that technique, with her and with other educated characters.

If you like stories like Lord of the Rings but would prefer something shorter, or the Chronicles of Narnia but want something more grown-up, you will like this book. It moves quickly at certain points, and it does cover a lot in a short amount of time, but it's very enthralling. You'll get drawn in. I read it in less than a day, and I've already got the names of the kingdoms stuck in my head. It's amazing. I hope to be able to do that with my stories.

All in all, glad I picked it up. Here's hoping I can get two more books read and reviewed next week!


Shadows and Silhouettes,

Page Traveler


P.S.
What books have you read lately?


P.P.S.
If you haven't already, REMEMBER TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!

No comments

Back to Top