September 11th, Final Thoughts

Source
This whole week has been an interesting roller coaster of emotions for me. Even as I began looking up pictures to use with these posts, I found my heart constricting with the memories of that painful day.

Each post brought different emotions to the surface, and I found my eyes wet more than once during my read-thru's. I am so grateful to each guest author for their thoughts and writings.

You all know that I am a religious person. I am very dedicated to my God, and I have a firm testimony that He loves me.




It is, therefore, not only sad, but heart-wrenching, to see that there are those in this world who believe that killing off an entire group of people "for God" is something that He would want them to do.

Since it's Sunday, we'll have a little spiritual lesson today. There is a verse in the scriptures I read that talks about how Satan holds a chain of bondage over so much of this world, and he looks at us and laughs, and his angels rejoice with him. In the verses following, it says:

"And it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and He wept...
And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing that thou art holy, from all eternity to all eternity?
The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy bretheren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden gave I unto man his agency.
And unto thy bretheren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood...."
-Book of Moses, 7:26-33, paraphrased


For those of you not used to reading scriptural language, what that basically says is that God sees our actions. He sees the wars, the fighting, the attacks, and He weeps for us. He is pained, because we are His children, His own creations, and He has commanded us to LOVE one another, and to turn to HIM, but too often, we don't. So many world problems would fix themselves, if we could only  learn to love the way Christ loves us. Unquestioning, unhindered, pure love, that ACTS, rather than simply FEELING.

Source
Look at this memorial. Look at how many names are on there. Those are names of real people. People who have died. Each one of those names was someone's child. Most of them were probably someone's parent, and hopefully each of them were someone's friend.

But all of them are children of God.

It's important to note too, that even the people who committed these acts ARE still children of God. Is He as pleased with their actions as with others? I seriously doubt it, but He still loves them... and that's a hard pill for a lot of us to swallow, myself included.

On September 11th, 2001, I was picked up for school by a group of friends. On the way there, we were trying to find some music to listen to, but there was only talking. We ended up turning the radio off, because we didn't want to listen to talking.

Yeah, I feel reeeeally bad about that now.

If we'd been thinking, we probably would have made the connection that something important had happened, because why else would the music stations not be playing music?

We got to school, and went into the seminary building (a religious study place for high school kids) and the secretary had the tv on, watching the events. I remember standing there watching, and making the connection. I remember being in the classroom, and hearing the secretary shout that the second tower had been hit. I remember watching them fall...

I remember I cried.

I didn't have anyone close to me killed, I didn't know anyone by name who was a part of these events. But these attacks weren't just on the individuals who died, the attack was against the United States of America.
And I am an American.

I remember how compassionate people seemed all of a sudden. How many people went back to church. How angry some people became, in defense of their country, and how some even became judgmental of middle-eastern people who lived here... the hate crimes that were committed, and the accusations made...

But of all the reactions I saw, there was one I didn't see that mattered more to me than the rest. That was God's. We didn't see Him cry, we didn't see Him bow His head in sorrow, or silently plead with us to just learn to love each other. Because He can't show us those things yet.

But I think, sometimes, I can feel them.

Whether you believe in God or not, I hope you agree that the terrible acts that were a part of, and a reaction to, the September 11th events, are not good, are not kind, and have hurt so many, not just in our country, but around the world.

Ten years later, the emotions are still raw. The tears still come. And my pride for the United States of America still fills my heart.

Thanks for traveling with us today.

Page Traveler


P.S.
If you haven't already this week, please share with us where you were, and how you felt ten years ago on 9-11-01.

No comments

Back to Top