September 11th, Challenge

Today's post is from Heather, of My Husband Ate All My Ice Cream. I have to admit, the name of her blog was the first thing that hooked me. She is a mother and wife, and has a lot of side businesses. Her writing is blatantly honest; she is NOT afraid to tell it like it is. So read her here, and check out her blog too, cause she's one cool kid.


The alarm clock went off at 7:15.  *snooze*  The alarm went off at 7:22.  *snooze*  "Okay... fine.  I'll get up. Stupid alarm clock." I thought to myself, as I stared at it.  I got dressed to go to work at my lame job as a receptionist for a lame, very unprofessional lawn care company.  In 15 minutes time, I was headed out the door.  When I stepped out, I realized it was a beautiful day. My job was only a few blocks from me, so I decided to walk to work.  There was not a cloud in the sky.  And it was blue... so very blue. And for that time in the morning, it was oddly quiet outside.  


A few minutes later, just before my 8:00 AM punch in time, I arrived to work.  "Imagine that... nobody doing anything besides sitting in the shop watching TV.  If I'm lucky, they'll be watching a video on sexual harrasment in the workplace."  I thought.  I sat down at my desk, and got on Myspace.  If nobody else was working, why should I?  A few minutes later, I realized that, for messing around, the guys were unusually quiet.  I got up and opened the door to the shop and said "Hey slackers!"

Nobody turned away from the TV. 



I looked up at the 20 inch screen, and my jaw dropped.  "Wasn't that the twin towers?  What a beautiful landmark on the NYC skyline! What happened?" I thought.  I stepped closer so I could hear the TV better.  "Planes?  how would they crash into something so HUGE?.... Hijacked?.... Terrorists?... In..... America?"  I was sick.  My head was spinning.  I called my boyfriend who worked at a car dealership down the road.  He picked up the phone and said "I know.... we're watching too."  I wanted to go home.  To be with him, and his brother.  My impromptu family, for the time being.  I wanted to be surrounded by everyone close to me.  But I couldn't move.  I was paralyzed by the huge sight on that tiny 20 inch TV that was dwarfed by the size of the huge shop we were standing in.

The hours drug on that day.  I kept watching the scenes replayed on the TV.  Near the end of the day, when everyone was off work, they all crowded to gas stations.  I watched as the gas station across from the shop gained a line for the gas pumps that was a block long... then two blocks.... then half a mile.  Everyone was SURE that gas prices would skyrocket the next day.

At 5:00 PM I walked home again.  The images replaying in my head.  The words echoing... Hijacked.... Planes.... People.... Twin Towers.... Terrorists.  This is America! This isn't supposed to happen here!



As the years passed by, the shock of it all wore off.  Now I'm married, and have four kids.  And every year around this time, I still get the burning sensation to hold my husband and kids a little closer.  It's a horrible reminder that life should never be taken for granted... NOTHING should be taken for granted, and that you should never forget to say I love you, or give kisses goodbye.


Challenge:
Take time today to tell your friends and family that you love them. Hold them a little longer, kiss them a little more. So many lives were lost that day, let's cherish the ones we have. -PT


We don't normally have weekend posts here on PTT, but this week is special. We're going right through in honor of this anniversary. Tomorrow will feature one of my very good friends, and I'll finish up on Sunday, so stick around! -PT

No comments

Back to Top