Life Worth Living

Today I want to talk to you about something pretty serious. Some of you might not like what I say, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and these are my conclusions... I will warn you, I wrote this in a state of mild frustration, so if you'd rather not hear the rantings of an emotional mother, then please leave this page now.




Monkey's 21 week ultrasound
Today's topic? Abortion.

In my book, it is just plain wrong, and I'll explain why in a moment.

First, may I say that I completely acknowledge that there are times when a medical abortion is absolutely necessary. Life threatening situations, rape victims, complications, and I'm sure there are many others that I don't even know about. Those situations are personal matters, and, in my opinion, should be handled by the individual family between them and their doctors, both physical and emotional. If that is your case, please know that I'm talking about other situations, not yours.

Now, moving on.


Let's think about the process of pregnancy for a minute. Many people ask, "How do we know when to consider a 'fetus' a 'baby?'"

Well, how do you tell if someone has died?

There are many stories of individuals who have been declared dead, and yet live today. I'm not talking about resurrection, I mean they weren't fully dead to begin with, doctors have just made a line at which they feel if a person has crossed, they can't come back.

But who are we to make that distinction?

When is a life considered to be alive?

At conception? Six weeks gestation? Ten? Twenty? Forty? At birth?

I say: all of the above.

First, let me explain something: Being a religious person, I believe that we each existed as individual spirits before we were born into our bodies, here in this world. When we come here, a "veil" of sorts is drawn over our memories of that place, so that we have no choice but to learn from our experiences here, rather than knowing right from wrong at the get-go.

Now, let me ask you a question...

What do you remember from your early years? I mean really remember, not just from watching old home videos or from people telling you about things you did; what memories do YOU have? What's the earliest you can remember? Really remember?

My earliest memory is probably my first days at school, so I was about five. I can't recall anything else before that. You are probably thinking similarly, right? Very few of us can actually remember anything from when we were babies, toddlers, or even young children.

WHY?

Do you know? I have a theory... well, it's my uncle's theory, but I endorse it...

It is my belief, crazy as it may sound, that even when our bodies are given life we are not yet fully gone from that Heavenly pre-earth place. Does this mean babies aren't 'alive' even after they're born? NO. It means their spirits can be present in BOTH places.




8-weeks gestation (not Monkey)
My awesome uncle explained it like this: imagine someone standing with one foot on the floor, and the other on the couch. Are they on the floor, or the couch? If they lean really far over the couch so that their toes are barely touching the floor, are they still on the floor? Yes. Are they on the couch? Yes!

When a baby is in the womb, is it's spirit (or consciousness) there, or still in heaven? We have firm evidence that babies in the womb respond to noises, pokes, prods, and their parent's voices, which would suggest that they are present there. But do they consciously remember anything from that experience? No, because they're still spending time in Heaven as well, and those memories will need to be closed off from the child if they are to learn from their own experiences.

When someone is sick, on their deathbed, are they always mentally present? Or do their minds seem to flit off into nothingness for brief periods before coming back to earth? Are they here, or in heaven?

Birth is just as serious as death, and I don't think people understand that.

When someone is murdered, the culprit is punished - at the very least with jail time. Have you heard stories of mothers killing their children? Those mothers get sentenced! But the conclusion has been drawn that "aborting" a "fetus" is different somehow. I don't see it.

Now, as I said above, there are times when it is necessary. And at those times, it is a hard decision to make. It is a personal matter, and I won't judge anyone who has gone through losing a child like that.

But women or couples who get pregnant "on accident" (I'm sorry, but if you didn't want to get pregnant, you shouldn't have been having sex.), and then decide, without any complications, recommendations, or issues, to abort a child are, in my mind, acting selfishly. They are afraid, they don't think they can care for a baby, they don't want the responsibility, they don't want to spend the money, they don't want their bodies "ruined" etc etc... Well, THEY are not thinking about the baby.

Do they not know about adoption?

If they really don't want to take full responsibility for their actions, then at least let someone else take up the slack! Suck it up for nine months, and let someone who cares take the child, raise him, and let him have a life!

As I think I've mentioned recently, Turner and I are working on getting our next baby going. We've been trying, and it hasn't worked yet. I can't begin to tell you how much that hurts. And it's only happened to me twice. I haven't had a miscarriage or anything, I'm just really excited to meet our next child, and every month that brings a period is another month I have to wait.

There are women out there, some of them my very close friends, who would give anything to be pregnant. If you don't want your baby, I'm sure they'd happily take her for you, and call her their own.

There are women out there who have lost children, through no choice, or fault of their own who would give anything to be able to hold that child, touch, feel, and even be spit up or pooped on, just to know that their baby is well and healthy and near.

There are also women out there who are unselfish. Who, through whatever choices and mistakes in life, became pregnant, but did not have the ability/want to take care of that child. These women went through pregnancy, chose a family, and placed the child in a home where a good life is guaranteed. These women created a family where there was not one before. And they did it not for themselves, but for their baby, and others who were unable to do it on their own. That, my friends, is selflessness, and takes a lot of strength.

When people talk about pro-life or pro-choice, I feel like the emphasis is always on the mother. Make the mother have her baby, or let the mother abort her baby... let's put the emphasis on the baby, shall we?

If you were that baby, would you rather live, or die?

I'd rather live. Those are my thoughts.


Thanks for traveling today,

Page Traveler


P.S.
Please share your thoughts. 
Have you, or someone you know been in any of those situations or had an abortion?
I know this is a controversial subject, so while all opinions are welcome, please keep your comments polite. Thank you.


Please share this post with others. Share it on Facebook, Re-Tweet it, link it on Google+, whatever your avenue, do it - please.


If this is your first trip with us, make sure you find a way to travel along! We'd love to have you on the crew. It's not usually this heavy, we have lots of fun here! But sometimes a mom's gotta say what a mom's gotta say. 

No comments

Back to Top