Service and Humility

When I served my mission, I had the wonderful opportunity to lead tours through the Bishops' Storehouse and Welfare Square in Salt Lake City Utah.

The purpose of the entire place was to help those who needed it, and were willing to work for it. I don't think I ever saw anyone turned away.

How it works is this: if you can't provide for yourself, the Church could give you work in exchange for food or clothing until they helped you find a job so you could be self-reliant.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.
-Proverb


We don't just give handouts, we help those who are doing their best to help themselves. Members of the church can also volunteer their time to help through this process. When people need food, they go to their local Bishop and he, working with one of the female leaders, will approve for you to get certain items you are in need of at the Storehouse. When you go, members are there to lead you around the "store" in an organized manner and gather the items on your request. I did this a lot when I was in Salt Lake City.

Now that I have finished my mission, gotten married, and have a child, we have had the need ourselves to ask the church for help. Now, my husband has a job, and we have a place to live, and we do our best to pay the bills and provide for ourselves. But sometimes, when the savings run out, and we find ourselves stretched to the bare essentials, we know we can turn to the church.

It's a humbling experience for me, having gone from doing the serving, to the one being served. I went just this last week, because our savings are low, and we couldn't afford a whole trip to the grocery store before Turner's financial aide comes in for the semester. I was privileged to meet a young single sister there, who led me around the "store" to get the things on my list.

As I arrived home and we started putting everything away, we barely had room for it all. My heart was filled with gratitude for the welfare system of the Church. I don't know what we'd do without it.

Has this ever happened to you, going from a serving position to being the one needing help? It is truly a humbling experience for me, how does it make you feel?

Thanks for traveling today. Feel free to share this post to those who may need help, or to those who have served you.

Page Traveler

No comments

Back to Top