Too Rich For a Bride, by Mona Hodgson

I got this book through a program called Blogging for Books. I thought, Oh! Awesome! I can get the books I want to read for free, just by blogging about them, this'll be sweet!

Well, it wasn't quite that sweet. I could only choose from certain books, from a specific publisher. But, I'd signed up for it, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I chose a book, got it in the mail a couple of weeks ago, and just finished it on Monday morning... early, Monday morning. I couldn't sleep the night before, so I stayed up reading until about 2 am. That's a big deal for me, considering I usually go to bed around 9 or 10. But, I managed to still be productive during the day, and didn't even need a nap :-)

So, here is my official review of Too Rich for a Bride, by Mona Hodgson.



This is a great story. I was excited to read a period piece set in the turn of the century American west. The characters are very well developed, and the references to God, sometimes subtle and sometimes not, are not a distraction from the story, as I was nervous they might be. They provide a good deal of depth to the thoughts and emotions of the various characters.

The things I loved most was, as I read the emotions of the characters falling in love, I fell in love with my husband all over again, and the description in the characters and scenery was detailed, without being overly so.

A couple of things that bothered me:

1. Because the author switches perspectives often, it sometimes became difficult to tell from whose view I was seeing as I read.

2. With the perspective changes, the author focused on two main characters, which immediately alerted me to who would end up with whom by the end of the story. I was disappointed with that, because it gave the ending away early.

Getting through those things was easy however, because it really was a very engaging book. I got six chapters in by reading here and there over a two week period, and then when I couldn't sleep one night I just read until two in the morning until I finished. It was a great sit-down-to-read type book, but not one that was easy to pick back up after a day of not reading.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Hopefully you will too :-)

Thanks for reading!

Darci - The Page Traveler

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group, in exchange for writing this review.

No comments

Back to Top