Movies & Books

First of all, I would like to announce,

sadly,

I did not make the top twelve for Blogger Idol.

I'm disappointed, but I will keep you guys up to date on the goings-on, and I'll be voting for my favorite bloggers, which you should do too :-) Maybe I'll follow along and write the challenges too, just to get some good writing practice in. I imagine it'll be easier without the pressure to perform.

Today I'd like to tell you about a couple of fun things that my family loves.

When Turner woke up this morning, he saw that he'd received a text message from a random number in Texas. But the contents of the message were what surprised him even more.

"Hey, are you going to Myst tonight?"

Do any of you know what Myst is?

I'll tell you:



Myst was originally a video game played on PC computers (left cover). You, as the player, are a stranger on the island of Myst. You follow clues and solve puzzles left by Atrus (the main character) and go into and out of books, called Ages. As you do all this, you learn more about the history of the people and places. This was one of Turner's favorite things growing up.


I was introduced to the books first (right cover), because Turner didn't have the game with him when we found his book. So, I read them. And I loved them. They had all the elements that I love, but in a completely new setting and story. It was so much fun to read.

Now, we found out, there is a movie planned for 2013! It should be amazing. With the technology available now, I can only imagine how incredible the movie will be. I really hope they do it well, because they're going to have a lot of people Turner's age, who played the game, getting VERY excited about it :-)


Next, today is the day that Cars 2 is released in theaters!




Cars is one of Monkey's favorite movies. So we're contemplating taking him to the theater for Cars 2. I figure if we go early in the day, or on an off day, that there won't be many people in the theater and it won't bother anyone if he freaks out and we have to leave.













As for me, I have lots of favorite movies, but one series that is definitely at the top of my list is the Pirates of the Caribbean series, specifically the first movie. It ranks up there with my childhood favorite, The Princess Bride.



Now, I believe I've told you before that my favorite books are 2 series' by David Eddings called The Belgariad and The Mallorean.



Now, this also includes three other books that tell the back story and history of the world in which these characters exist.
Belgarath the Sorcerer, tells the back story from his perspective, Polgara the Sorceress, does the same from hers (she's his daughter), and The Rivan Codex is the history, monetary systems, etc. for each of the countries involved in the story.

Thirteen books altogether.

I think they'd look awesome in movie form, but honestly, they're WAY too involved for anyone to try. The characters are endearing and relate-able, and the detail that comes through in the text is incredible. There's not too much prose, which is my problem with Lord of the Rings, and the dialogue is pretty modern, without resorting to slang, so it's easy to understand. There are words here and there that you'd need to look up if you want to really connect with it, but most things you can get from context clues.

What's your favorite story? Whether it's in video game form, movie form, or book form, I'd love to hear about it in a comment or an email.

Have a great weekend friends!


Darci - The Page Traveler

P.S. What should I call you guys? Bookmates? My Crew? Bookworms? What do you think?

No comments

Back to Top