The Great Debate: Mayonnaise vs. Miracle Whip

Here is my personal Mayonnaise/Miracle Whip story...

In my parent's house while I was growing up, we generally had Miracle Whip in the fridge.

But whenever I went over to my grandparent's house, they had mayo. I remember not really liking it at that point.

However, later in life mayo became kind of nostalgic because it reminded me of my grandparents. I started eating it here and there on certain things... tuna sandwiches, and especially fresh grown garden tomato sandwiches.

Then I got married.



Turner tells me that while he was growing up, they generally had Mayo in the fridge. When we were married and moved into an apartment together, we bought both for a long time. I remember buying a big thing of Miracle Whip for me, and a tiny little container of Mayo for him (because I ate more sandwiches than he did).

I don't know when it happened, but at some point, I began to prefer the taste of Mayo. I can't explain what it is... Miracle Whip became too sweet, and Mayo tasted... better.

So before you draw your own conclusion, here's a little history lesson via trusty Wikipedia...

Mayonnaise:
A sauce. A stable emulsion of oil, egg yolk, and either vinegar or lemon juice.
The most probable origin of mayonnaise is that the recipe was brought back to France from the town of Mahón in Menorca (Spain), afterArmand de Vignerot du Plessis's victory over the British at the city's port in 1756. According to this version, the sauce was originally known as "salsa mahonesa" in Spanish and "maonesa" in Catalan (as it is still known in Menorca), later becoming mayonnaise as it was popularized by the French.

Miracle Whip:
A white salad dressing and sandwich spread manufactured by Kraft Foods. It is often used as an alternative to mayonnaise in recipes, although it is sweeter and has additional contents.
In 1933, Kraft was a well-established distributor of mayonnaise, yet sales were slipping as a result of the Great Depression.Kraft developed a new dressing similar to mayonnaise, but at a lower price. Premiering at the Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago in 1933, Miracle Whip was an instant success as a condiment on fruits, vegetables and salads.

I know that many people have VERY strong opinions about this. You've heard mine, what's yours?

Darci - The Page Traveler

No comments

Back to Top