Family Does Matter - Part Two

If you missed Part One, be sure to check it out.


This is the second of two posts explaining my beliefs about the family unit. I feel, as I'm sure many do, that the family unit is breaking apart. The traditional organization of father, mother, and children is tearing at the seams. When I look back on the most successful times of any civilization, it is usually (to my knowledge) when that organization is intact. Over the past 50 years, the traditional family has become less and less standard.


Part of the cause of this, is that men and women are being told not to be men and women. (See Part One for more detail.) I believe in God. I believe that He created men one way, and women another, and they were made to fit together in a very intimate way; (1) physically, (2) mentally, (3) emotionally, and (4) spiritually.


Today, we'll discuss the last two: Emotion, and Spirituality. They are very similar to each other, but 


Emotion:


Women, let's face it, we're crazy.


I feel bad for the men who deal with us, especially when we're pregnant or on hormonal birth control or something, because things just escalate in those cases. Men are generally calmer, and more logical than women are. When it comes to making decisions, they tend not to let their emotions get in the way.


Women are emotionally wired. Some more, some less, but I believe that all female human beings have within them something more than the men do when it comes to emotional connections. As much as the world (movies, media, etc.) would have us believe otherwise, women function on a deeper emotional lever than men do. This is not to say that men don't have emotions. A true man is, of course, in touch with them. But I see women being just as in tune with other's emotions as they are with their own. A mother knows when her child is hurt. A wife knows when her husband needs her. A woman can tell when something is wrong with a friend. Men, although they might notice these things, tend not to act on them, for fear they might do something wrong, or they might act on them in a different way than a woman would. And that's okay. We're just different.


Grrrrrr!   *candid shot, really cute kid*
Spirituality:


I was raised in a faith-filled home, taught about Christ and God, and how to pray. My mother and father were always great examples to me. My father was always full of faith, never doubting. My mother was diligent in getting us all up every morning to read scriptures together as a family. We always had fun family activities. Sunday was spent going to church and resting at home. We didn't play with friends on Sunday, we spent that time together. Whether it was watching a movie, reading, or playing games (this was the usual activity of choice). And you know what? I learned from my mother and father at a young age how important faith is. How important it is to believe, like really believe in my faith. 


In my church, we take one Sunday a month to let members of the congregation come to the pulpit freely and share their testimony. A testimony (just like in court, for example) is a statement of something you know to be true. If a little kid got up, it would sound something like this:


"I'd like to bear my testimony. I know the Church is true. 
I know Jesus is the Christ, and that Heavenly Father lives and loves me. 
I love my mom and dad and brothers and sisters. 
I know the scriptures are true. I know President Monson is a true prophet. 
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."


An adult's testimony would be more fleshed out, but similar. They might share experiences that have strengthened their faith, or express gratitude for the blessings in their life. I did that a lot growing up. It was fun, as a little kid, to get to go up to the pulpit. 


But I tell you all this to say that, my dad rarely did this. I hardly ever heard him express the things he believed. And yet, I knew he did. In every part of his life, he lived his testimony. Some men are like that. Some are not. But my point is, that ALL MEN DO have the potential to be spiritual. Some men think they have to be all tough all the time - no crying, no humility, etc. And while strength is a huge characteristic of the male part of our species, true strength comes when a man recognizes that there is a Greater Power, and submits to it. This does not diminish his "toughness", rather, he gains a greater knowledge of his own potential, and begins his journey to reach it, with the help of Faith.


Women, on the other hand, are much more sensitive to spirituality - just like emotions. We have in us something deeper. Because of that, we are also much more susceptible to doubt. Women tend to need spiritual nourishment more often than men do (Disclaimer: again, this is from experiences with myself and those around me). I find that if I miss church for more than a week or two, or go without praying or reading my scriptures, my days start to feel very labored, like I'm slugging through them. I have to push myself to get anything done. Where when I DO those things, I feel a fresh start, a recharging of my spiritual batteries, and I am happier and more content. My husband, on the other hand, reads scriptures with me, and finds that to be enough. He is content with a few verses and a short prayer to get him through each day, where I need more.


My husband and I with my family -
Little J-boy wasn't even in the oven yet.
In the family unit, both emotion and spirituality are an essential part of life. Children need to see the emotional support that their mother and father give each other, as well as the strong testimony and diligent example of faithful parents. No matter what the belief, or religion, there should be an example of this. We need to teach our children the things we know to be true, no matter what that might be. Then, when they are old enough to choose for themselves, they will know where we stand. They should be encouraged to seek the truth for themselves, and have beliefs for which they would be willing to give up everything.


It's a big step in a child's life, searching for the truth. But if parents are there, as examples and pillars of support, then children have a much better chance of turning out all right.


I hope these posts have made sense. They were written carefully, but rather quickly. I've said it before, but these are things I feel very strongly about. I'm sure there are some who would disagree, and that's okay. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here. But this is my personal testimony: God lives, Jesus is the Christ. They have organized us in families for a purpose, and that is to give us a built-in support system as we go through life here on earth, in preparation to return and live with Them again.


If you'd like to read more about my beliefs, Click Here.


Thanks for reading. And if you have a minute, go ahead and share this post through email, Facebook or Twitter.


You guys are great. See you Monday!


Darci - The Page Traveler

No comments

Back to Top