A Tale of Two Cities;

I've just renewed the book from the library for the third time... I've decided that I'm going to take every spare moment I can this week, to read. So if I miss posting one day, you'll know why.

I just read how the Marquis was driving to his chateau, and stopped in a town. He recognized a man that he had passed on the road, asked him what he had been looking at “so fixedly?” The stranger’s reply, “…I looked at the man.”

Apparently, there had been a man dragging along behind the carriage by a chain…

I’m sorry, HOW DO YOU MISS THAT?!?

*sigh*

If I missed something very important in that chapter, please feel free to enlighten me... The Marquis then proceeds to his château where, we learn, he is expecting his nephew, Charles Darnay.

The plot thickens... do you remember Charles Darnay? He's the guy who was on trial and was saved by the words and actions of Miss Lucie Mannette and Mister Sydney Carton.

They have a conversation, in which Darnay expresses his distaste for all things to do with this château and  his uncle. He says in effect, that they are making more trouble than fixing. Which the Marquis does not deny, but rather embraces. He's the kind of person who makes his own life better at the expense of other's. 


That night, the Marquis is killed. Though we do not know yet by whom. The chapter ends.

We go back to England, a year has passed, to see Charles Darnay going to Doctor Mannette to request  permission to court Lucie, if she should have him. This conversation really tugged at my heart, because Darnay expresses not only his adoration for Lucie, but for her father as well, and a desire to bring them ever closer together, rather than coming between them. Even so, after the confidences are exchanged, and promises made between the two men, Lucie comes home that night to find her father in a fit, so to speak, having reverted to what he was before she rescued him from the tower room. We know that this has not happened for a good while, and so it is distressing to Lucie.


I can understand how something like this would effect Doctor Mannette so much. He spent eighteen years locked up, to be rescued by his daughter and then spent years trying to become the man he was before, with her help. The thought of being without her, or letting another person share that intimate bond quite likely terrified him, no matter how much he may favor Mister Darnay. 


That's all for today, but like I said, I'm going to spend as much time as possible this week reading. So mu next post on this book will hopefully be more of my personal thoughts than a review of the chapters I've read.


Happy Monday!


Darci - The Page Traveler

No comments

Back to Top