A Tale of Two Cities; Superior or Snobby?

*SPOILER* BOOK2, CH7*

Man, I am a slow reader lately... My apologies to those of you who are reading along with me, you're probably way ahead of me now.

In A Tale Of Two Cities, I have reached chapter eight, in the second book.

I read through a little visit at the home of the Mannette's, met again Miss Pross, and witnessed a discussion between her and Mr. Lorrey that made me feel an even greater sadness for Mr. Mannette...

Now, I am in France. I have met two new characters, both men, addressed only by title thus far:

Monsieur the Marquis. A nobleman. Other than his stony face and cold manner I don't know who he is.

Monseigneur. Everyone seems to reverence this man, except for Monsieur the Marquis, who says of Monseigneur, "I devote you to the devil!"

Wow... harsh.

I have no idea what these blokes have to do with the lovely characters I've come to enjoy in England, but I'm sure I will find out.

Also, a couple of characters from back in the first book have made a comeback.
Monsieur and Madame DeFarge.

This was an interesting little event. It truly showed the disgust in which the nobility of France held the poor and working class during the time of the revolution.

Monsieur the Marquis is riding in his carriage away from a reception of some kind where Monseigneur 'had his chocolate' (he's very posh, it takes four guys to give him his chocolate properly...), when the Marquis' carriage ran over something, and "the horses reared and plunged."

A child had been run over. Killed. His father curled over him in agony...

And no one said or did anything, out of fear of the Marquis.

I cannot imagine loosing my child. I know there are some out there who have been through it, and I know that, with God's help, I would survive, should it happen to me; but that is an experience I don't even want to attempt to imagine. And to have all of my friends, neighbors, and family be too afraid to comfort me in my grief because of a government official... I'm at a loss for words.

The Marquis then throws a coin on the ground, as though paying for something he broke.

Apparently life isn't worth much to him.

It reminds me of a line in The Incredibles (since I watch it with my son, like, every day...). Mirage nearly dies at the hands of Mr. Incredible, but Syndrome calls his bluff. Later, Mirage says, "He's not weak... Valuing life is not weakness.... And disregarding it is not strength." I agree. Monsieur the Marquis is the weaker man for not valuing the life of this poor little one.

We then see Monsieur DeFarge come and help the man who suffered the loss, saying that the child was in a better place. The Marquis takes notice of the wisdom of that, and throws him a coin as well.
(Here is why I went through all this trouble to describe the scene.)
As Monsieur the Marquis is riding away, a coin is thrown back at him, landing in the carriage.

The only person he sees where Monsieur DeFarge had been, was Madame DeFarge, knitting.

She's a feisty one, she is.
Though you don't find out here whether or not she actually threw the coin, I think it's quite probable that is was her. No one moved, looked at him (the Marquis) or did anything. He angrily threatened them, and drove off. The night went on as though nothing had happened. Except for a poor man, who had lost his child.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I can take much more death...
This is going to be a difficult read.
Heck, it already has been...

I'll read more, and make more time to write too. This was a quick little post, and could've gone so much deeper into these events. Please, share your thoughts. Even if this is all you've ever heard of the story, we'd love to hear. We can have a lot of fun if everyone participates :-)

Thanks for being here, all you cool cats.

Darci- the Page Traveler

No comments

Back to Top