A Tale of Two Cities; Making Progress

*SPOILER* (Thru Ch. 20)

Thanks to one of my most faithful readers who finished the book before I did, I gained some extra motivation to get a lot of reading done this weekend. She told me:

"This book is finally flowing. The 3rd book is much more captivating than the rest and I'm almost done, I can't put it down anymore. :) Whew... I thought I would never make it... really, I hit the third book [Tuesday] late afternoon and read 11 chapters at once after that. It really speeds up." 

Then, six hours later:

"I'm done now, and I must say it was worth it. :) You can do it!"

Oh friend, thank you! I'm so glad to know that there is light at the end of this tunnel.

And so, even with going through all our stuff on Friday, doing a yard sale, and helping backstage at a dance recital on Saturday, AND going to a different church meeting on Sunday to see 3 family members speak... I still got through SEVEN chapters!

It really is starting to get good. I've found that if I read consistently, I can keep my mind molded to the writing style, and I understand more. This is generally the case with any unfamiliar genres, but for some reason I thought I'd be able to do this one more easily. Such was not the case. The beginning caught my interest very quickly. The first book I mean. But once I hit the second, things seemed to get so very slow, and I had to push myself to keep reading. Now, I actually want to keep reading. I don't have to make myself do it anymore.

There are big time gaps, but you generally know what happened in them, so it's not a big deal. I am really starting to fall in love with the characters, and to sense the drama of it all. We, as the reader, can make connections and understand things that the characters do not. One of the most intriguing people to me, so far, is Madame DeFarge. Even before now, she interested me, in that I could tell she wasn't quite what she seemed. But now that I'm starting to see her role in things, it makes me excited to see her do more. Obviously the knitting is significant. There is some kind of code in the knitting that can categorize and identify spies and others they are working against, as they prepare for the revolution. I find that ingenious, and I wish I could see how it works.

There is one thing that still makes me shiver though: Monsieur Mannette's condition. He suffered so greatly through being imprisoned for all those years... It really breaks my heart. I've recently read how after Lucie's wedding, he had a "relapse", making shoes again, for nine days and nights. And afterward, he was completely back to normal. How frightening. To know that you have two separate and distinct personalities, completely the opposite of each other, and that one could come and go at any moment. Dr. Mannette does tell Mr. Lorey though, that he wondered if this might happen. That he'd been trying to prepare in every way possible, but that the preparation may have made it worse.

This makes me wonder what exactly caused the relapse?
What was he preparing himself for?
Was it the separation from Lucie?
Or learning the truth about Charles Darnay?

Don't tell me!

I'll find out soon enough...

And I'm excited to! In fact, I think I'm going to go read a little right now :-)


Happy Monday!

Darci - The Page Traveler




P.S. Remember to email me your Summer Fun Photos to enter the contest! I know it's not huge, but tell your friends, and someone will win some yummy homemade cookies!

No comments

Back to Top