Death: A Celebration?

As my son and I got into car to head home Sunday night, the radio d.j. said something about Osama bin Laden being killed. 


Whether it was real, I wasn't sure. But I had the drive home to be able to think about it. I didn't get excited, I didn't feel much of anything really. Of course I was grateful that a man capable of such evil acts had been brought to earthly justice, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt a sad sort of pity for him. He was not brought up with the values and knowledge I was, of a loving Heavenly Father, a Savior, and principles of love and tolerance. Perhaps if he had been, he would have turned out a different person. We'll never know. However, no matter his beliefs, meeting his maker probably isn't going to be a very pleasant experience for him...


So, when I got home, I looked it up and watched the president's address confirming the news.


First off, I think President Obama could have been a little more tactful in explaining his part in all this. I felt like his speech was all 'me, me, me, I, I, I...'. (See Single Dad Laughing for more explanation on that, he says it very well...)


Secondly, as I read people's opinions on Facebook, and heard about the "party at the white house", I was even more saddened. I couldn't help thinking of the Israelites when God rebuked them for celebrating the death of the Egyptians in the Res Sea. One of my friends wrote:  


When the Red Sea collapsed and killed the Egyptian army the Israelites were rebuked by God for celebrating greatly the death of his children from Egypt. To this day, when celebrating the exodus Jews will offer a half hallel, or tempered joy to celebrate their freedom but recognizing the death of some of Gods creations... So is the wild celebration in D.C. over Bin Laden's death kind of morbid to anyone else?


Yes, it was to me. Here's what I mean...


“Someone put, ‘Party on the White House lawn,’ on Facebook,” said Demi McLaren, 20, a sophomore history and secondary education major from Massachusetts who packed into a car with six other students. “We knew it was going to be a rager.”


Chants of “U-S-A” broke out and spread through the throng, along with spontaneous patriotic sing-alongs that mixed with the sound of honking, screaming and laughter. Hundreds of people held up their cell phones to capture photos and video of the rally, while others looked down at their phones to type messages to family and friends. Some climbed up into trees to get a better view, while others shimmied up light poles with huge flags in hand. One group raised a toast with their cans of Coors Light.


(Quotes from the Washington Post)






(video from youtube)


I understand the excitement, I understand the happiness, I understand the celebrating, to a point. What I don't think is appropriate, is the blatant malice and enmity being expressed along with excitement at a man's death. 


Yes, it's good that he won't be able to hurt any more people. But he is still a human being, a child of the same God as you and I, whether he believed in that or not.


I don't think bin Laden's death saddens God near as much as America's general reaction to it.This is a difficult thing for me to describe. 


As many of you know, I read the scriptures. The King James Version of the Holy Bible, and the Book of Mormon, plus two books of less-well-known revelations, called the Doctrine & Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. In these books, specifically in the Book of Mormon, there are records of wars that took place over two thousand years ago. And whenever the "good guys" were able to kill the leader of the "bad guys", it never failed that there was another waiting and ready to take his place. 


This is not the end. Yes, bin Laden was a horrible person; yes, he hated all things American; yes, he created what is probably the largest terrorist network in the known world. But that's the point. He may have been the leader, but he trained and taught his followers to think the same way. They will continue his work, I have no doubt. Of course I wish it weren't true, but history has a way of repeating itself, especially considering that Satan's tactics are much the same today as they were two-thousand years ago.


I wish our troops could come home. I wish we didn't spend so much money on other countries while we neglect our own needs here in the U.S. I wish this were the end of the war(s), but it's not. It is definitely a victory, one that should make us proud of our troops and intelligence guys; but it is not the end.


This is an event that should cause us to hug our families a little tighter, get on our knees a little quicker, and live a little better. Others may do what they want, but I'm not going to raise my glass to anyone's death, and certainly not until I know all our citizens are safe at home.


May we have peace, and prosperity.


Darci- The Page Traveler

No comments

Back to Top