A Tale of Two Cities; What?

*SPOILER ALERT*

Let me just say, this is a loooooong book for me... I am seriously considering saving Pride and Prejudice for another time, because I'm gonna need something easier after this...

I just barely have finished Chapter Four of Book Two. That means I've read ten chapters total. I guess it's a little more encouraging when I think of it that way.

But, what makes reading this story most difficult for me, is that there is so much I really don't understand. I'll read an entire page, and barely be able to really understand what's going on. I get a lot more out of the dialogue than I do from the rest. (Is that called prose? How do you refer to the parts that aren't dialogue?) There was a scene in a courtroom, where I know I knew what was happening generally, but I couldn't tell you exactly what went on. My hope is that as I continue reading, my mind will grow more accustomed to the language. I also have an assignment. There is a list of questions in A Thomas Jefferson Education that I am taking it upon myself to complete. 

As far as my thoughts on the story right now, I can't say that I have many... 

(wow, that's great, Darci, glad to hear it...) 

But I do have a few! At this point, it feels like the story is just getting warmed up. There is so much going on, but I can't keep track of it. I'm meeting characters, and trying to figure out how they all fit together. Mr. Cruncher was hilarious, can't wait to read more from him. Miss Mannette is absolutely angelic. Monsieur Mannette seems to be such a deep character, but it's a depth that is rarely shown, except in his eyes. Mr. Lorrey is a kind, decent, honest businessman. I've also met Mr. Stryver, a legal officer, Mr. Darnay, who was the prisoner on trial, as well as Mr. Carton who, apparently, looks very similar to Mr. Darnay. I have a feeling that little element is going to be important later on. At this point we've left the Defarge's in France, and we're now in London, five years following the release of Monsieur Mannette.

At the end of chapter four, we leave Carton, having just dined with Darnay. He's expressing something that sounds like jealousy at the good fortune of Darnay having evaded punishment at the trial. This is odd for me, because one of the questions I'll be looking to answer is: "Is Sydney Carton A Christ figure? Elaborate." Now, I obviously don't know the rest of the story, but I can say that Christ was never jealous of anyone. He knew who He was and what He needed to do. So, based on that, I'd say no. But that doesn't mean that it can't change. A person can be a figure of Christ without being perfect. In another way, Carton was Christlike, in that he took care of this man who had just been released from judgement and bought him food and drink to help him adjust somewhat to being part of "this world" again.

Here's another thing.... During their conversation, Carton says something that stood out to me for some reason. He states, "...the greatest desire I have, is to forget that I belong to it." (speaking of "this world".) So, if Carton has such strong feelings about it, why would he be taking the time, and spending the money, to help another man - and one for whom he has negative feelings - adjust to "this world"?  He himself is at a loss as to why he even helped Darnay in the first place...

So, all in all, I really need to just take a few days and read, read, read.

That's the plan!

Darci- The Page Traveler

P.S. I'd love to hear your thoughts? What do you think of Mr. Darnay? Mr. Carton? If you haven't read the book, what is your reaction to Carton just from reading this?

No comments

Back to Top