A Tale of Two Cities, At First Glance

This week, I began reading A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens. I've only read through the second chapter, but I will freely admit to being intrigued.

I read the introduction, and a preface by Dickens himself, both of which I'm almost regretting, and I'll tell you why. I've read a lot of books in my life, but not many that I'd refer to as "popular classics". You know, the books that everyone read in high school and that have been critiqued and discussed over and over again for years and years... I'm just now getting into that. So when I read in the introduction that it has "the best of Dickens, and the worst of Dickens", I didn't really know what to think. 

Should I have started with something else?

Oh well, I'm into it now.

The story takes place during the French Revolution, beginning specifically in 1775. So far the only bits I've read have been foreshadowing elements that either explain the general goings-on of the time period, or have no strong connection to anything. I think the thing that has intrigued me most so far, is how suspicious everyone is of each other. I don't know much about the French Revolution, but I have a feeling I'm about to learn.

Bonsoir, mes amis,

Darci - The Page Traveler

P.S.
What do you know about the French Revolution?
Have you ever been in a situation where suspicion and fear were the dominant feeling?
How would you react if you were put into that type of situation?

1 comment

  1. I'm going to have to get this one asap and catch up to you again! I've wanted to read this one for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top