Sidetracked: The Giver, by Lois Lowry

I promise I had every intention of doing the declaration this week, but when my husband brought home my fancy new dictionary (which, by the way, is cool and lame all at once...) he also brought home one of his favorite books, The Giver  by Lois Lowry. He had told me about it before, but I didn't feel interested. As he read through the first few chapters, and started giving me quotes, I became intrigued, so I picked it up.

I am amazed.

It holds my attention like nothing else. The idea of a "perfect" society is obviously something that we all wish could be true, but I fear that this is how it would work if mankind were determined to do it. From my religious perspective, the only way a perfect society can function is under the direction of God. I believe this is because we, mankind, are too imperfect. If a human leads (especially one who doesn't look for guidance through prayer) there are bound to be imperfections. Pride, selfishness, dishonesty, all tend to come out when we are under pressure of perfection. However, God and Christ are perfect, and therefore would be able to lead us in the best way possible.

I am only in chapter nine of twenty-three, so I know I've only just scratched the surface, but I intend to finish it soon. My apologies for going off schedule, I will finish my D of I assignment soon.

Turning pages quickly,

The Page Turner

1 comment

  1. you've never read this before? I LOVE this book! and, there are sequels, kind of. Let me know what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top