The Declaration of Independence; Apology

Please accept my apologies for taking so long on this project. I really am genuinely excited about it, but life gets in my way quite a bit.

I will proceed with the rest of my thoughts.


4. "He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries." - 11th ph.

This irritated me when I read it, and continues to. We all have agency. Reading this makes it sound, to me, like the King forced these Judges to do only what he wanted them to do, and if they didn't he'd have them done-in. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, maybe I'm not understanding something. But if this is what it means, then I am all the more proud of our forefathers for taking a stand as they did. Because no one - not even God - can take agency away from another being. We all have the right to choose. And if I'm not mistaken, it is the responsibility of a Judge, to make choices! Is it not? That's what judges do! They review a case, review the laws, and make the calls. They are the decision-makers of our government. To have that taken away is morally wrong.



5. "For protecting [large bodies of armed troops], by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States" -16th ph.

The King let his troops force their way into homes without consent of the homeowners, and commit terrible crimes. And then he stood by and just let it happen. Remember, the Judges couldn't do anything, or they'd be fired or killed, so the Trials these troops were put through, didn't amount to anything. I also think it's interesting, that the word "Murders" is capitalized. This tells me that not only is it wrong to commit murder, but these men considered these Murders an Event. One, in my mind, that led to the signing of the Declaration itself.



6. "For imposing taxes on us without our Consent." - 18th ph.

Here is another place where capitalization stood out to me. "Consent". It means agreeing to or giving permission. But again, like our agency, the right to give our consent is Divinely given, and cannot just be ignored. When it is, there are consequences. As the king found out.



7. "For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighboring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies." -21st ph.

So, I tried to find out which country (neighboring Province) this was done to, but couldn't find anything on it. I would assume it might have been Canada, but I could be way off. If anyone knows, or has an idea of which country it is referring to, please comment and let me know. As for what it's actually saying the king did, it was a good try, but just because one group of people is okay with (or putting up with) a tyrannical dictator, doesn't mean everybody will be. I can't help thinking, again, that these people left England for a reason. And that was to get out from under the thumb of the king!


8. "A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people." -29th ph. 3rd sen.

After all they've accused him of doing (or not doing), I felt that this one sentence sums up the motives of these people so perfectly. Having been through hell, they understand that they deserve, and have a right to, better treatment than what they've been given by the king.


9. "That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States;..." -31st ph. (Towards the end of the first sentence.)
Also, referring back to #1, and the "Right of the People".

Again, a specific capitalization. That we, as members of the human race, have basic, Divinely given Rights. And, to be honest, they are essential to our happiness and survival!


10. "...we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - Last line.

Whenever I read this, I get chills. Again, note the capitalizations. These men knew, with every part of their bodies and souls, that they very well might die in the attempt to free themselves and their people from the bondage they were under. But they also knew that theirs was a Righteous cause, and that they - every man in that room, whose names are on this document - were willing to give everything they had to attempt the impossible. It is true that these United States were consecrated by God and set apart as a promised land.

I love this country. I am grateful that over the years, the U.S.A and England have resolved their differences and become allies, and friends. Europe is a beautiful part of the world, Britain especially. And it is a blessing to be able to visit there when one can. The history between these two great powers, was marred by selfish individuals, but for the present, and in the future, we are, and can be, united.


In God We Trust.

The Page Traveler

No comments

Back to Top