Laddie; Extending Deadline

Just to let everyone know, I haven't been at my best this week, and have not been able to finish, or even progress much with Laddie. I'm giving myself until Tuesday night, so we'll see how that goes.

I would like to say, however, that it hasn't only been life and a sick son that's gotten in the way of my reading this book. I stopped the other day right in the middle of a three-page-long description of the meadow/orchard that this little girl was walking through. Now, I like descriptive authors, but I prefer concise descriptive authors. I don't like descriptions that take me four days to push through. Now,if I hadn't stopped there, I could've probably read through it quickly, just skimming it. As it was, every time I went back to it, I read six or eight lines and got bored. This is why I still haven't finished The Lord of the Rings. Too many words people! Come on, if you find the right words, then you end up not needing so many. Take C.S. Lewis, for example. He did not write with a typewriter. He wrote with a pen that he had to dip into the ink. He could only write five or six words at a time, and so he chose them carefully. If you read his works, they are not lengthy, but they are full of rich, vivid description. The way this author (Stratton-Porter) writes, is lengthy.

Once I got back into the flow, I was okay, but I don't feel the draw to read that I've had with the other books. I feel like, if I don't finish, I won't really care. Which makes me wonder, if this is a "classic", and has come to me so highly recommended, why am I not enjoying it? I think the answer might be, that I am a very imaginative person, and I like to be able to form my own scenery. Then again, I don't really mind so much description, when it's done clearly. I feel like her descriptions are too much, and yet, lacking somewhat as well. You see, when I read a book like The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, or The Belgariad Series by David Eddings, these guys are descriptive, and they leave no room for error in understanding their scenery. They give you maps for crying out loud! This book, doesn't do that. It give as much detail, but still leaves me hanging, in that there is so much I know is there, but I don't know where it is! There are trees, and a makeshift pulpit, and a stream, and a barn, and woods, and two sides to the orchard, and flowers, and grass, and neighbors, and a road, and I don't know where it all goes! Every time I read about something new, the whole area changes. It's driving me bonkers.

After reading what I just wrote, Turner says to me that my real problem is that i am having trouble stretching my imagination to fit her descriptions. The exercise of thinking through someone else's mind by reading, is one I hope to repeat. I will finish this book, and I will most likely enjoy it, it's only a matter of stretching my mind to fit.

Anyway, I am now at the beginning of Chapter five, of eighteen total chapters, so I hope to finish by Tuesday evening.

...and chickens, and sisters, and fairies, and ducks...

The Page Traveler

No comments

Back to Top