Anne of Green Gables, Ch.11-28

Before I get into my review, I want to share a quote from one of my followers blogs that made me laugh out loud.

K writes,
"[My Husband] hasn't seemed to care when I read him a "funny part."  Maybe it's a girl kind of book. [He] would probably lock someone like Anne up in a closet somewhere, but I think she's cute."

That is hilarious. 
My husband actually read the AoGG books before me, and he got halfway through book five before life got the better of him and he put them down.

So, on to the review.
Although I read a whole lot, I didn't really do much 'thinking' per se. Let's see what I think...

Chapter 11 - ending paragraph
Marilla, upon hearing Anne's truthful, but negative, opinions about the prayer and sermon at Church, feels like she ought to say something about it. But she realizes that Anne's opinions are very much the same as her own, which she has never shown. My favorite sentence is the last, 

"It almost seemed to her that those secret, unuttered, critical thoughts had suddenly taken visible and accusing shape and form in the person of this outspoken morsel of neglected humanity."

How poignant! 
Now, why is it that as adults we think it is okay to think a rude or negative comment, but it is not okay to actually say the comment? 
Shouldn't it be one way or the other? Is the answer that it is unacceptable to have rude things even cross our minds? Or should we be free to express these things constructively, to the betterment of those around us?

I believe the latter.

If we as a race were more honest, then, I believe, not only would we say these constructive comments, but we would be more free with our compliments as well. In this, we would hopefully be more quick to see the good in ourselves, and therefore any criticism would either be taken constructively, or completely ignored, because we would have the self esteem to know whether the comment is useful to us or not.

I hope that makes sense...

This is a lot like to situation we saw earlier, where Rachel Lynde insults Anne. To Anne, it was not okay for Rachel to say those things, but it had always been okay for her to say them to herself. I don't think this is okay either. If Anne could only have seen the good in herself, then Rachel's comments probably wouldn't have phased her at all. In face, being as imaginative as she is, she might have even laughed them off.

Chapter 28... I know, i skipped a lot...
Anne and her friends are acting out a poem, and Anne ends up stranded on the pole of the bridge in the middle of the lake, it having gone wrong. She tells Matthew and Marilla that she's been cured of being too romantic, and that she's given it up completely. Matthew, showing more insight than at other times, waits for Marilla to leave, and says to Anne,

"Don't give up all your romance, Anne,... a little of it is a good thing -- not too much, of course -- but keep a little of it, Anne, keep a little of it."

This is very true. And if anyone knows it, I'll bet Matthew does. He's a bachelor of seventy-something, who's been afraid of females all his life. He doesn't seem to have a speck of romance in him, save what he feels for Anne. I think now that he's felt some spark of love for Anne Shirley, he may wish he'd had some romance in him back in his day, though I'd imagine he's lost hope for it now. He truly doesn't want Anne to lose the life in her, and her romance is a big part of that.

Other parts I liked were the dress buying, the haunted wood, poor Diana getting drunk on accident, the girls jumping on Miss Josephine Barry (Ha!), and every single line about Gilbert Blythe. As much as Anne refuses to admit he exists, you can tell she really likes him :-)

I will probably finish the book tomorrow night, and my final thoughts will be posted by Friday evening.

Turning one page at a time,

The Page Traveler

4 comments

  1. I only read half of this post because you're ahead of me. I'm also getting caught up in reading without noticing what chapter I'm on. I'm getting caught up in the hopes and dreams and feeling the disappointments of little Anne. I do wonder if it was propr when the book was written to spell cookie "cooky" when it's singular... not that it matters, I guess. It just caught my attention. Also, I love that Anne's only fear is disappointment. She sees the joy in everything in life and wants to experience everything to the fullest. It makes me want to be a kid all over again, almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and sorry for any spelling mistakes, I'm trying to cuddle my two-year-old in one arm and type with the other hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read a part in Chapter 20 that I like:

    "There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

    There are a lot of lessons about being yourself and loving yourself in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! If we were all as genuine and honest as Anne is, there would be far less hatred and misunderstandings in the world.
    I just realized that I'd actually read up to chapter 28, not 23. These roman numerals got the better of me I guess... I'm changing it now, but the end of this post was the last lines in ch.28, just so you're aware :-)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top