Anne of Green Gables, Ch. 30-38... the end.

I only really had two other thoughts I wanted to share, and I need to do it now, or I'll forget because I'm starting the next book.

Chapter 30
Marilla's real feelings for Anne finally, finally, start to show! The paragraph that splits between pages 238-239 is one of my favorites. Why is it that so often we don't show our love to those who really mean the most to us? I've read a lot about the "Love Languages" in the past, and Turner and I talk about it every now and then. It is true, in my mind, that we each speak, or express, our love differently, and we each receive, or understand, love differently. So to my eye, Marilla shows her love for Anne by being protective and cautious; by trying to teach her and make sure that she grows to be the best she can be. The most important thing Marilla does to show her love, is listening. I think that quality time and conversation are Marilla's and Matthew's love languages. And the same probably is true for Anne. They're just on different ends of the spectrum.

Chapter 34
In the last paragraph here, Anne says,

"Oh it's delightful to have ambitions. I'm so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them -- that's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition, you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting."

This is one of the things I just adore about Anne Shirley. She is always "anxiously engaged in a good cause and [doing] many things of [her] own free will," (Doctrine & Covenants 58:27). If everyone had the kind of ambition that she has, the world would be a much better place. There would be less crime, because people would want to improve themselves, and there would be more productivity because sitting and doing nothing would not be appealing.

I'm so sorry to cut off my thoughts, but my baby is crying and I need to go take care of him. I probably won't have time to write any more before I'm starting the new book (The Chosen by Chaim Potok), so please share your thoughts.

Sincerely,

The Page Traveler

3 comments

  1. HOORAY! I finished the book and now I can comment. I had the exact same scripture pop into my mind when I read that part too. I loved every minute of reading this book.

    One part in particular I like at the end of chapter 33 when they are at the hotel concert where Anne gets stage fright. Though they notice that they are very plain compared to the rich women with diamonds, Anne says, "We are rich... Look at the sea, girls - all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds. You wouldn't change into any of those women if you could." And then she continues. "Well, I don't want to be any one but myself, even if I go uncomforted by diamonds all my life."

    There's something about that part that I've always thought myself and I understood how Anne felt. Though I'd be happy to be out of the wife-of-a-student lifestyle, I don't really care. I have the greatest blessings in the world and I'm happy.

    I also love that Anne ends up staying in Avonlea to take care of Marilla. And of course that she openly forgave Gilbert Blythe. We can always find satisfaction when we seek it and continue becoming better and helping others.

    Now I have to get back to the library as soon as possible for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im sad that I didnt get to read this book along with you! I have read it several times before. I love Anne of Green Gables and adore several of the characters in the novel.
    What book is up next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a list up on the left hand side of the blog, to see which book is next, go there.

    Thanks for your comments! Kristi, I know what you mean about Anne's "richness" attitude. It's a beautiful reminder of the blessings we have in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top